Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WS23:
Did you tell the owner what he had, or question him about any of this?

Do you think he was unaware, or was he intentionally being deceptive?

Was it priced as an original or a fake?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes i did, he seened to have thought he had won the lottery, he was wanting to trade it for several nice guns, but still well short of what a true patterson is worth.he might still be out there trying to pawn it off, so be weary of and old beltmodel with aged bone grips, with silver inlaid snakes, an attempt at looking like it might have come from mexico, i figure that even as a fake it has a value of around $600.00, just as a convincing hole filler, it will probably end up fooling some novice collector, or crooked dealer that thinks a gift from heaven has just been delivered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i saw a nice old well worn patterson belt model in nashville Tn, recently, it had the colt markings on the barrel, but under close inspection they showed signs of being hand struck with 1 obvious restrike,
the gun had been aged to make it look like it might be from that era, nasty bore, good stage coach scenes, wrong number of rings on cylinder, and no colt cylinder marking, serial# 32 stamped in correct places and matching, some small pieces showed nice remaining blue. while the bore showed much use and abuse the nipples were not displaying any firing damage at all, all the proofs were gone if it was a italian, it was well cleaned of evidence, had i not had the oppurtunity to have handeled a few actual specimens this could have fooled me
so be careful

[This message has been edited by potlicker (edited 03-11-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Did you tell the owner what he had, or question him about any of this?

Do you think he was unaware, or was he intentionally being deceptive?

Was it priced as an original or a fake?

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the main reason why i dont mess with or invest in scarce or antique firearms.Im no expert and im too old to become one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts