Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His final creation actually, the Hi Power. I have a few of the usual 9mm, and the ones used most often in service. Walther P38, Beretta 92S, CZ75. Some modern ones like the Beretta PX4, Glock 19, and Walther PPQ. In 45 I have a Colt 1911, albeit a series 80. Somehow I have never shot or held a Hi Power.

Along came an example in truly excellent condition. High gloss blue. The red lined "leather" bag and manual. A C series classic from 1973. From the moment I held it I knew I had to have it. Everything just fit in my hand, it's slim, points with ease, and I even liked the trigger. ( I suspect some work, although I can find almost no evidence of this gun being fired) There's a simple elegance to this firearm that appeals to me, and I am sure they aren't going down in price any time soon now that production has ceased. The sights are "elementary" I suppose, but every gun has some weak point.

This example has the serial number on the front grip strap. Other than proofs there is nothing but the Utah/Montreal stamp on the left of the slide.

Anyway, here's a few pictures. For some reason this gun just floors me and I could look at the finish all day. (and I'm not huge on semis usually)
I hope some of you enjoy this diversion too.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
It is a strange and wonderful thing when a piece of machinery can evoke such sensibilities in humans.
There are some combinations of human creation that possess a singular element of near perfection as can be achieved. It is the stuff of fine art. It is what gives us the 'feelin' that only a well executed example of man's capability can provide. If Michaelangelo or Divinci were ordnance engineers, they would have built the Hi-power, but they were not. So John Moses Browning got the ball rollin'. It is one of the mysteries of the natural course of evolution. It doesn't really need explanation; it only needs to be appreciated.

There are many great pistols.
Is there a pistol that sums it up better than an M-35 FN High Power?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You said it all, and very nicely, right there Oberon. That's it in a nutshell.

And what a fine collection too!

It is a strange and wonderful thing when a piece of machinery can evoke such sensibilities in humans.
There are some combinations of human creation that possess a singular element of near perfection as can be achieved. It is the stuff of fine art. It is what gives us the 'feelin' that only a well executed example of man's capability can provide. If Michaelangelo or Divinci were ordnance engineers, they would have built the Hi-power, but they were not. So John Moses Browning got the ball rollin'. It is one of the mysteries of the natural course of evolution. It doesn't really need explanation; it only needs to be appreciated.

There are many great pistols.
Is there a pistol that sums it up better than an M-35 FN High Power?

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I wish I knew more about them. Im not sure what to buy unless its an older Belgium made version.
There isn't a bad Browning High power. There are some beat up ones. There are many variants, and there are ones that were not made in Belguim. But they are all Browning High Powers, which is what you are really after, isn't it?
Hunt around and see if you can swing a bargain someplace. What you get may be exactly what you want. You can always trade away for something more to your liking. Ya can't play if ya don't have a ticket. Time is tight.(Booker t. & the MGS) The millions of 'em in circulation are the only ones we will ever have. Clearly, you need​ an Browning High Power.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There are a multitude of varieties of the HP. It is generally agreed that the Belgian made ones are the finest. The ones assembled in Portugal are right behind in quality. The first generations had the usual unbreakable and hard to see sights. The early ones had a strong side safety set up for right handed shooters, and later marks had ambi ones. The Inglis versions were made from evacuated plans and machinery when Belgium fell in WW2. Worldwide it was JM Browning's greatest gun, used by over 50 nations. The last versions had cast instead of forged, but they were actually stronger to handle the .40 S&W cartridge. MecGar makes magazines for the HP and use them without hesitation, as they made the factory mags for many years. Almost any holster for a 1911 will work for a HP.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts