Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my family there is a SSA s/n 15xxx. It was originally nickled, .45, ivory stocks, 'US' on the left side of the frame and comes from the Wyoming or Montania area.
In the 50's, my uncle sent the pistol to Colt to have it converted to .38 spec. w/blue cyl & bbl. We still have the original parts.
I've requested information from Colt with the resultant 'information destroyed or thrown out' returned.
Does anyone have an idea of the original home for this pistol?
The family story is that my uncle bough it from a fellow in Wy. to whom it was given by a Montaina marshal who had taken it from a man who had killed 3 men with it. The man was subsequently hung.
Uncle said Colt wrote him that at that time it was common for the Army to issue such pistols to their Indian scouts because they wouldn't clean them properly and nickle would last longer.
Anybody out there have anything to add or any further knowledge.
Thanks,
BarryBear

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Quite valuable especially with original barrel and cylinder which should be replaced by only a Colt restoration professional like Dave Lanara, the best. Not expensive and he can give you an appraisal for insurance purposes. He can likely tell you where it was shipped, which armory or fort, etc.

www.davelanara.homestead.com

You have an extremely early Colt made in the third yr of production, 1875! The nickeled guns were issued to indian scouts for the reason you were told.

Jim

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
In my family there is a SSA s/n 15xxx. It was originally nickled, .45, ivory stocks, 'US' on the left side of the frame and comes from the Wyoming or Montania area.
In the 50's, my uncle sent the pistol to Colt to have it converted to .38 spec. w/blue cyl & bbl. We still have the original parts.
I've requested information from Colt with the resultant 'information destroyed or thrown out' returned.
Does anyone have an idea of the original home for this pistol?
The family story is that my uncle bough it from a fellow in Wy. to whom it was given by a Montaina marshal who had taken it from a man who had killed 3 men with it. The man was subsequently hung.
Uncle said Colt wrote him that at that time it was common for the Army to issue such pistols to their Indian scouts because they wouldn't clean them properly and nickle would last longer.
Anybody out there have anything to add or any further knowledge.
Thanks,
BarryBear
On the triggerguard, under the serial # you should see a small inspector initial. A "L" possibly? Also on original barrel, cylinder and behind hammer on backstrap.
Could be a 2nd Cav. issue based on the area it came from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts