Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you would like, please go ahead and use this thread to post your own family's personal Veteran heroes on this auspicious day.

The left one is my father on leave in Japan during the Korean War. (Phrased poorly … they're both him of course) Not only a hero in regard being a Navy Veteran, but has been a hero to me every single day of my life. I should hope I turned out to be half the man he has always been.
Bud Navy.jpg Bud 1952.jpg

EDIT: Photos of your hero are not required. Just let us know about he or she if you'd like.

EDIT: And if you want to share your own service photos, you certainly deserve to be in this Veteran thread as well! I'd love to see them.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
My Dad was the second oldest of five brothers who were all in the USMC. My Dad was not a career Marine serving only in WW2 but his brothers were. The last brother(youngest) saw action in Korea and Vietnam. He managed to survive the Khe Sanh siege back when. Very lucky they all survived without anyone being seriously wounded. My Dads oldest brother looked like R.Lee Ermy and did time as a DI at Paris
Island. Pete

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
My cousin, always big for his age, lied about that age and joined the Marine Reserve in 1950 at age 15. After basic training, he had turned 16, but his unit was activated and sent to Korea. So, at the tender age of 16, he was thrown into combat. He never spoke much of it. What he did, was drink. And he did not stop drinking until his liver failed and he died. May he have found the peace that eluded him in this life.

EDIT: Age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I come from a long line of warriors. My great-great grandfather, Richard Thomas, served in the American Civil War for the Union with troops from what is now West Virginia.
My father, P.R./⎌Tommy Thomas, served in WW 1 and was stationed in France.
My two older brothers, Jack and Jerry Thomas, served in WW2 in the China, Burma, India theatre. Jack was a P38 pilot and Jerry was an armorer/mechanic (they both survived the war). Jim Thomas

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
My father served as a supply corps officer (captain) in the CBI (China, Burma, India) theater for about 2+ years. He spent most of the time there either in Burma or China taking convoys up and down (literally!) the Burma/Ledo road. At on point, he took one of the first relief convoys from Ledo to Mitkyna (pronounced "Mitch-eh-nah), Burma after the U.S. and Chinese troops took it back from the Japanese. Another time his convoy went all the way from Ledo to Kunming, China where all the supplies and vehicles were turned over to the Chinese Nationalist Army. The truck drivers and officers had to fly back "over the hump" to get back to Ledo. Another one of "the greatest generation"!

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
My mom's four brothers...all served and saw combat and all came home. The family was very lucky. My Uncle Bennie...the oldest...hit Omaha Beach in the first wave and survived only to be hit outside of St. Lo and invalided out of combat. His survival itself is a separate story as he wasn't expected to live. The youngest...Max...is the only one still with us and is in his 90s. He was a signalman and loader for a 40mm anti-aircraft battery on a destroyer and his ship was anchored by a half-sunken Japanese battleship in Tokyo Bay at the surrender.

Uncle Abe was in an ammunition supply unit in Italy and Uncle Mushie was a gunner on a Navy bomber. He died young enough I never found out whether it was a land-based bomber or carrier aircraft. As so common with veterans the four never really talked much about their wartime experiences.

My Uncle Bennie rarely talked of the war outside of the funnier aspects of being in the service. He didn't open up about his experiences until shortly before he passed...he pretty much only had long-term memories then...outside of commenting how good-looking my wife is (which she loved hearing).

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had nine family members in WWII. Only one was wounded. He lost a leg at Okinawa and he is the only one still living.
Father in laws ship was hit by a Kamikaze. Returned to the fight after repairs and was hit again by Kamikaze.
Mac

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
...and this is me (the guy on the right) in 1975 with a Colt in my hand:
So very young looking...but with a definite take no sh*t look about you.

You know what, there's absolutely nothing wrong with posting photos of YOURSELF in uniform as part of this thread as well. Y'all damn well deserve the recognition, and ought to be very proud of your service and status as a Veteran.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've been looking through dozens of family Veteran photos. Great men and women and I'm proud to be related to them and such a service oriented family. I'll just post one more of them here. The oldest identified veteran in our family. I'm a direct descendent on my fathers side. He was a soldier in the 1st Alabama Infantry C.S.A.
Capture.JPG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts