Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious who the various suppliers of grips were over the years for Colt revolvers. Did Colt make any of their own grips?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,622 Posts
For sure, pre-war Colt made their own grips in what was known as the "Furniture Shop".
The shop also made the elaborate display cabinets that Colt took to big expositions in the 1800's.

Post-war I think that Colt contracted grips out to suppliers.
At one time Colt owned Jay Scott ?? who also sold aftermarket copies of Colt grips usually made of lesser grade woods, especially hardwoods.
Colt also contracted in India and Italy for Custom Shop grips which they also sold aftermarket. These were usually fancy Rosewood.

In so far as I know, no one seems to know who the contractors for Colt wood grips were until the late 1990's when they used the last type of finger grooved laminated grips on the Python Elite.
I've heard the manufacturer name "Excalibur" used for these grips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting information about the cabinet shop producing grips and display furniture. It’s apparent to me as years passed that grips were less significant to Colt in the marketing of their revolvers. I guess this is also the case with Colt’s rival Smith and Wesson.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I am going by faulty memory here, but about 45 years ago I seem to recall something about a commemorative colt being fitted with grips made from the "Charter oak tree"?

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
The Charter Oak was a large oak tree in Hartford Connecticut, legend has it that the original charter for the state was hidden in it to prevent discovery by the British during the Revolution. The tree fell in August of 1856 and Samuel Colt purchased some of the oak. It was used for grips on some of Colt's presentation revolvers.

Jim

Reactions: feralmerril

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Wrong revolution. The royal charter for the colony of CT from the king of England from the 1630's was hidden in the tree during the English civil war in the 1600's. When Cromwell was deposed and King Charles returned to power, the loyalists retrieved the charter. It is on display at the CT state library in the room next door to the Colt collection. Check out their web sight to get the exact story. They have a lot of cool stuff there, including an exact copy of a Colt Root revolver made of wood from the Charter Oak. It's pictured in Wilson's book. It's free to get in and the old Colt factory collection is a must see if anyone is in the Hartford area.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Sorry to disagree but the following link gives the history of the Charter Oak. It was located in Hartford and is an important part of the city's history.
https://connecticuthistory.org/the-charter-oak-fell/

Wrong revolution. The royal charter for the colony of CT from the king of England from the 1630's was hidden in the tree during the English civil war in the 1600's. When Cromwell was deposed and King Charles returned to power, the loyalists retrieved the charter.

Jim

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Jim, you found the info I was mentioning. There's nothing to disagree about. The tree and the charter were always in Hartford.
The hiding of the charter was done here, because of what was happening in England. In 1687, CT was still a rather young British colony. At the time, my ancestors had been living less than 100 miles away from Hartford in Portsmouth, RI since 1638.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts