Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of a box from Brownell's. I had ordered a set of ivory-looking grips for a SAA that had gold Colt medallions, they are made by N.C. Ordnance and sanctioned by Colt. I put them on my New Frontier as I think the NF with these grips and the medallions look super. I'll have to say that I was a bit disappointed with the fit; there is a gap that lets light thru up by where the grip frame attaches to the frame itself and they overrun the front strap on the right panel. From a foot away they look good...I'll have to roll it around in my head whether I'll keep them or not. I got them for $49.99, so I guess you can't expect the "moon," but I'd hoped they would fit more precisely...

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Understand your concerns. So fit them yourself, shouldn't be too difficult to do. I think they look great on your NF. I have a set of "bonded ivory" checkered grips from Altamont for my new NF

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
NC Ordinance SAA grips have a "disclaimer". Here's the text on their website when I pulled up the grips from NC

"ALL COLT SAA GRIPS WERE ORIGINALLY HAND FITTED AT THE COLT FACTORY. LIKEWISE ALL REPRODUCTION COLT GRIPS REQUIRE HAND FITTING. OUR COLT SAA GRIPS ARE MOLDED SLIGHTLY OVERSIZE FOR THIS REASON. IF YOU ARE NOT CAPABLE OF FITTING THE GRIPS TO YOUR INDIVIDUAL FIREARM THEN PLEASE DO NOT ORDER!."

Did Brownells have such a disclaimer or notation?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
LVBill,

Very common, especially with less expensive grips. I will only order grips that are stated to be oversize so that I can fit them. The light coming thru is caused by the hole for the locating pin. The hole needs to be elongated to the rear, but then the rear edge of the grips will likely be too short. I would return them.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Colt" Grips

MtnSpur, I do not recall seeing this disclaimer on the Brownell's web site. I've been around the block enough to know that SAA grip frames can vary, but given this is one of the brand new NF's that has just come back out in the last two years, I didn't think that with modern manufacturing techniques there would be much gun-to-gun difference. I was a little concerned when I received the grips and saw what they looked like on the inside. Check out the photo. Even though I cranked down on the grip screw as hard as I dared, there is still perceptible movement. Hondo, I may well take your advise, maybe another set would work better? If all else fails, I'll ask for a refund...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Brownells is good about refunding, and I would also ask for a refund of return postage.

In my experience, Bar S Tru-Ivory grips actually look like genuine ivory. Midway USA used to carry them.

The 2nd best are Eagle Ultra Ivory. They also have a grain which looks like real ivory and much more realistic than any of the bonded ivory or synthetic ivory: http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Search-R ... 67&x=7&y=6
Twice the cost but well worth! And they come plenty oversize.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
yeah I think the eagle grips are the way to go and I think they will fit them. IIRC all you have to do is send them the grip frame and they will fit the grips. but you can always get real IV from nutmeg sports and they fit them as well. I also understand that nutmeg has a fast turn around, less than a month and you have real IV that will last a life time of shooting. IV is tuff.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses all. I will give Brownell's one more try, if they want, and then if the next set is a no-go, back they go. Then I'll see about some of these other suggested alternatives.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
That's one nice looking New Frontier.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's one nice looking New Frontier.
Thanks jcs, I think so too. It was in an article I did for GUNS OF THE OLD WEST magazine and I just had to hang on to it after the gun test!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Thanks for the responses all. I will give Brownell's one more try, if they want, and then if the next set is a no-go, back they go. Then I'll see about some of these other suggested alternatives.
If you're ordering NC Ordinance stocks from Brownells, you will get the same result. They are specifically made oversized as I tried to tell you in my previous post. SAA stocks aren't like DA stocks as far as "one size fits all", especially a NC Ordinance product.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ivory "Colt" GRips from Brownell's

My replacement grips from Brownell's showed up yesterday and I put them on today...a big improvement! These fit tight and don't move on the grip frame and just need to be trimmed down in a couple of spots for a perfect fit. I even received a little refund check...thanks Brownell's! The photo is not the best...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,052 Posts
I was in my LGS last week and they had just purchased some used SAA's and they had an extra set of Tru-Ivory grips which I purchased from them for $80. They look a lot like ivory except when you view the end grain. The Tru Ivory has a pattern that tries to imitate the real Ivory, but it is not quite the same. The weight of Tru-Ivory is similar to Ivory. I like the Tru-Ivory at the price I paid. I saw a set of the Eagle Company Ivories a few years ago. It had a steer head carved in it and I would not have known it was not synthetic Ivory if the owner had not told me.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
My replacement grips from Brownell's showed up yesterday and I put them on today...a big improvement! These fit tight and don't move on the grip frame and just need to be trimmed down in a couple of spots for a perfect fit. I even received a little refund check...thanks Brownell's! The photo is not the best...
Bill,

Very glad to hear that! Thx for the update and glad they reimbursed the shipping back (I presume that's what the check was).

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
SaintClair,

Great catch on the Tru Ivory grips. They polish up just like ivory. The Eagle ivory grips are called Ultra Ivory and they are my 2nd choice after TI. Very close look to ivory but they just don't polish up as nice. The surface is a bit porous.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bill,

Very glad to hear that! Thx for the update and glad they reimbursed the shipping back (I presume that's what the check was).
Hondo - yes it was the shipping they refunded. I've had pretty good luck with Brownell's over the years. Those grips make this beautiful Colt even more attractive!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts