Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Colt fans,

I own a Colt Peacekeeper, 4" barrel, build: 1987. Still looking for a better grouping .38 special handloaded combination. For now I'm using 3.6 gr AA # 2 with a 158 LRN from H&N.(Haendler & Natterman)

This particular handload groups excellent in the S&W 686. About 3" at 25 yards, shot one handed. But "strange" enough not that well in the Peacekeeper. Did some shooting trials with jacketed bullets(Hornady 110 gr & 125 gr)and AA # 2 but till now no succes.
Think the relative fast twist of the Colt barrels is of some significant influence......

So I'm curious what the MK V owners(Trooper, Lawman etc.) use for handloads in there revolvers? Especially used powder, bullet, C.O.L. and used crimp. The accuracy I'm looking for is approximately 3 to 4" at 25 yards. The smaller the better of course.

Looking forward to your answers.Thanks in advance.

sincerely,
Armes de poing

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: Favorite .38 special handloads for Mk V revolv

First off ditch the round nose bullets, you'll get better accuracy with wadcutters or semi wadcutters. I have had good luck with 3.5gr of Unique or 2.8gr of Bullseye over 148gr wadcutters in my Troopers and Pythons.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Round nose bullets can be very accurate. The only reason for the WC and the SWC bullets were their perfect holes in targets that makes for easier scoring.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Yeah, you're right.

I have too many memories of the crappy butter-soft round nose reloads sold by the the local bullet-caster/gunshop-owner in my hometown that shot like shit and leaded barrels like hell.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

You can't blame a bullet that a loader has pushed beyond it's capabilities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts