Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get some quality cleaning equipment .. so much has been lost over the years and I had gotten away from shooting... more collecting, but now with my newly discovered Annie Oakley slingin' lead, I might be able to dirty up some barrels the proper way... from lead and powder instead of rust and cobwebs:p
I have used the usual brands over the years .. Hoppes, Outers, etc. I went with a new brand for a new pistol cleaning rod that looked like real quality. never heard of the brand but it seems like a winner. Pro-shot. seems to be all american made stuff so another plus.
I bought a few accessories with it but need quite a bit more. Figured I'd see what some of the shooters, collectors, and Colt owners used as favorites.
The Pro-Shot stuff seems to be basic design with professional quality construction and use in mind.
What does some of the fellow Forum members use?

Registered
Pro-Shot is pretty good stuff. As far as cleaner I usually use G-96. I also like the Tetra brand stuff. I've also had good results on my rifles with the GunSlick Foaming Bore cleaner. I just whipped up a batch of my homemade lube. (Dexron Trans. oil, 10w30 Synthetic oil and a touch of Hoppes) Works good on the innerds.
I would add a Lewis Lead remover to your bag -O- tricks - you'll need it eventually if you shoot a lot of lead boollits!!

Registered
I have specific needs when it comes to cleaning products.With my severe Migraine history I can't be around cleaning products with strong smells.Hoppes 9 will land me in a Emergency Room in a few minutes.I use a product called Breakthrough which is used by the Military and has Zero smell.I also use Miracle Polishing Cloths where the active ingredient is Coconut Oil.Highly effective and pleasant smelling.For lubrication I use Militec-1 Dry Impregnated Lube.It bonds to the metal and the effects are cumulative.I also like Renisance Wax to give my guns a nice shine.For polishing Stainless and Nickel I like Mother's Mag Polish applied using finger tip pressure and buffed to a nice shine......Mike

*** ColtForum MVP ***
I bought Pro-Shot stainless pistol rods many years ago. I've been 100% satisfied with them and have had zero issues.

I recommend buying brass muzzle guides for them if they don't come with them.

For rod accessories, I recommend Pro-Shot or Dewey.
I don't recommend plastic rod tips. They sound like a good idea but they tend to break off leaving the threaded portion in the rod.

As for other chemicals and materials, I recommend just buying whatever brand name supplies that catch your eye and are readily available. Try it. If it seems to work for you, it's good.
I recommend staying away from home brew chemicals and lubes, and "expedient" materials and techniques. Too many can damage a good gun.

Registered
I decided to get some quality cleaning equipment .. so much has been lost over the years and I had gotten away from shooting... more collecting, but now with my newly discovered Annie Oakley slingin' lead, I might be able to dirty up some barrels the proper way... from lead and powder instead of rust and cobwebs:p
I have used the usual brands over the years .. Hoppes, Outers, etc. I went with a new brand for a new pistol cleaning rod that looked like real quality. never heard of the brand but it seems like a winner. Pro-shot. seems to be all american made stuff so another plus.
I bought a few accessories with it but need quite a bit more. Figured I'd see what some of the shooters, collectors, and Colt owners used as favorites.
The Pro-Shot stuff seems to be basic design with professional quality construction and use in mind.
What does some of the fellow Forum members use?

For cleaning and lube I use Weapon Shield, and have been for a few years. Very good as both cleaner and lube. It's a thicker oil than most and stays in place longer. For cleaning, it becomes easier to clean your gun when you use this stuff. No idea why but I'm not the only one who found this. You buy it, about $9 for 8 months or so of it. You may be able to get online elsewhere but I buy mine from the company site:Welcome to the Frontpage.
Gets very good reviews online from users. Take a look. Just put "Weapon Shield" in Google search.

(They make lubricants for various uses; the mother company is Steel-Shield, for guns their product is Weapon Shield.)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
I called Pro-Shot Friday for the two sizes that they sell of the muzzle guards and also the rod stops. It's about impossible to keep from banging the brush attachment into the back of the frame with the force it takes to push it down the barrel and then stop just as it comes out the other side. thought the rod stops will help end that. quick and easy ordering with them.

Registered
I just counted 11 containers of mixed cleaners, oils and lubricants from CLP to Birchwood to G96 to Renaissance to many others. I find myself regressing back to Hoppe's #9, RB 17 for lead,copper and powder build up and Johnson's paste wax. The basics that have withstood the test of time. I even find myself saving a few bucks and the one container Johnson's Wax @ $4.79 should last a few lifetimes. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Registered
I have been using foaming bore cleaner for several years now and find it works well, followed by a couple of passes with Butch's Bore Shine. I keep a spray can of brake cleaner for cleaning out the insides.

Banned
Have dedicated shelves fulla stuff, some of which I actually use :) . I've used SLIP 2000 degreaser which eliminated ALL oil and grease from weapons and the label states specifically to relubricate the gun properly. I don't use it often but it's biodegradeable stuff and works like a charm. Breakfree CLP is my most used product for most normal cleaning issues. Hoppes when necessary. Kroil, oh yeah baby ;) Eezox. I stay away from the RemOil stuff though one son uses it for his shotgun so I do have a can on hand. I find that the above gets me through just about every weapon I own. I use Slip 2000 EWL for my AR and have a few tubes of reel grease for break open shotguns. A plethora of bore brushes, toothbrushes, brass brushes, plastic picks and assorted sizes of 100% cotton high quality patches coming outta my ears. Years of cleaning and these supplies multiplied like a virus. :eek:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
I received the two sizes of Pro-Shot muzzle guards and two rod stops Monday in the mail. I ordered them Friday late afternoon. shipping was $5 dollars and change. They sent product line and current price information and also two competition pistol targets in with it too, no charge.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
Have dedicated shelves fulla stuff, some of which I actually use :) . I've used SLIP 2000 degreaser which eliminated ALL oil and grease from weapons and the label states specifically to relubricate the gun properly. I don't use it often but it's biodegradeable stuff and works like a charm. Breakfree CLP is my most used product for most normal cleaning issues. Hoppes when necessary. Kroil, oh yeah baby ;) Eezox. I stay away from the RemOil stuff though one son uses it for his shotgun so I do have a can on hand. I find that the above gets me through just about every weapon I own. I use Slip 2000 EWL for my AR and have a few tubes of reel grease for break open shotguns. A plethora of bore brushes, toothbrushes, brass brushes, plastic picks and assorted sizes of 100% cotton high quality patches coming outta my ears. Years of cleaning and these supplies multiplied like a virus. :eek:
It does grow like a virus. I got one plastic ammo box (locked to keep out kids) full of gun solvents, cleaners, lubes, bore snakes in ziplock bags. its airtight so when I open it up the vaporous odors release is a "stand back - stand clear" experience. I went through it the other day and managed to throw away only one bottle of remington bore cleaner. ( I saw where it really wasn't too good on a youtube comparison) Even though the rest is been in there for decades, it really doesn't go bad. The oils can get bad over time I suspect, but was all still good so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts