Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite Colt revolver in your collection and why?

Any regrets on ones you let get away or never bought when you had a chance?

Photos of favorites welcome.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Very easy to answer, my Python with 4" barrel. I also have a OM .22 rf from 1930 and a Cobra but the Python is the one I'd keep.

Reasons, it looks sharp and is the most accurate revolver I own.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The New Service....it is everything I like about Colts in abundance. Nothing beats getting the BIG version of something you favor.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hard choice, but I guess my .22lr OMT. They really knew how to build guns back in tht era.
The one that got away was my 3" Dick Special that makes my blood boil whenever I think about it.
The one that almost made me cry was a LNIB nickeled Viper that I saw at a gunshow. I was caught up in out 1-gun-a-month law and the dealer wasn't interested in shipping or holding it for me. It was gone by the time I came back pass his table again.

·
Registered
807 Posts
My favorite is my "Engraved" Colt Model "357"(With four-inch barrel)as I find it to be just too "Beautiful" to not keep it! I probably would never see another engraved "357" in the rest of my lifetime? I feel almost as strongly, about my 1950 vintage OMS!

The one I lost, was a NIB, "Mint" first year(1966)very early serial numbered, Colt Diamondback(In .38 Special)! This was a real "Tear jerker"! The Gun Dealer agreed to hold it for me for a few hours-then, whenever I returned to make the deal, he had sold it out from under me! I nearly, lost my mind over this(As it's next to impossible to find a Diamondback in the PRK!)! I no longer trust any Gun Shop, to hold a gun(s)for me! I either will have to buy it on the spot-or, forget about it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Favorite (to look at only) is a beautiful 2d issue OMT in near-mint condition. I have a number of OMT's, including some pretty rare variations, but somehow this one is #1.

One that got away was a Shooting Master: Called the guy, thought about it, called back an hour or less later and it was sold.

Bill A

·
Registered
20 Posts
My favorite Colt is my sick 1906 New Service in 44/40. Needs the bolt replaced. Why is she my favorite: Because I am always messing with it and she's pretty.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My most favorite ones are my nickel plated Single Action Army with ivory grips that my wife gave me for a 25th Anniversary present and my cased, blued, .45 acp Single Action Army with Colt Ivory grips that she gave me for our 30th wedding Anniverary present...

On the regrets side, two I think of the most are a Colt Model 1889 with a name roll marked into the butt strap... I sent it back because I didn't like how the barrel looked (Dumb, Dumb, Dumb...) and the other was a consecutively numbered pair of .38 Special caliber Trooper MK III revolvers that I let get away from me...

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Tossup between the Python and the Shooting Master.
The one that got away was a beautiful Camp Perry at a price I was too stupid to jump on until after it was gone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I guess my favorite shooter is a 1969 six in. Python that has the nicest action of any gun I've ever owned and is almost monotonously accurate. Purtiest is a early 3rd SAA with a SA suffix. The one that got away? Easy. Early 70's I heard from a former professor whose wife had an "old revolver" that had belonged to her father, a deceased N.Y. fireman. They just wanted to get it out of the house-little kids, doncha know. It was-incredibly-an absolutely new '49 Pocket. They wanted to give it to me, but I laid $100 on them so the gods wouldn't punish me too badly. (Flayderman's actually listed it at $125 at the time). I kept it for a few years and then traded it for a Fox Sterlingworth, which I still have. Love the Fox, but the '49 is in a very exclusive collection now-and it isn't mine!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
While the New Service remains my overall favorite,for accuracy,I'd say a 1909 Officers Model with the 7 1/2" barrel,fleur de leis stocks and 96% finish. With reloads at 900fps in it,once that bead sight settles on a target, its "gone" up to at least 50 yards. For "looks" it a 5 1/2" .38 Special SAA,one of the first 500 guns built as 2nd generation in late 55' or early 56'. Best of all,it is a shooter! Had no box etc. when I got it around 1991,but it has the best case colors I've ever seen,and according to a "serious" collector,the early ones,like this,used some left over pre war parts-like I care! For "business",its a 2" Official Police made in 56'. One of the ugliest and meanest looking guns, IMO,Colt ever made. With a T Grip it is very easy to handle,even with 38/44 specification handloads. A tad heavy for some,it is far easier to control in rapid fire than some of the lightweights. The round butt and a custom cross draw holster make it easy to conceal. Bud

·
Premium Member
9,462 Posts
It would be hard to choose between my early first year .22 Bankers Special with factory pearl stocks and my late New Service Target in .45 Colt.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My favorite "use" revolver is My 8"Anaconda. It took me a long time to find its favorite ammo (270 grn speer gold dots)It now hits where its aimed, Together we have taken 7 Whitetail. Longest shot approx. 70 yrds.

My favorite Safe Queen is my Bisley circ 1907. calibre.44-40 in fine condition. Aways wanted to shoot her but never had the courage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Would have to be my 1906 Colt SAA in 44-40. I think this was an early second generation SAA. It belonged to my grandfather who carried it regularly. Still is in probably 85 - 90% condition. I got it passed down through my father.

I also like my Pythons, Official Police, and OMM Targets.

·
Premium Member
9,462 Posts
R. Walter, a 1906 SAA would be a First Generation, which was made from 1873 to 1940. The Second Generation began in 1956, when the SAA was reintroduced after production had stopped in 1940.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1906 colts new police .32 colt 4 incher perfect grips perfect mechanically finish not so hot....but it shoots like a new one

1 - 20 of 25 Posts