Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This 2007 44-40 SAA was a forum member recent acquisition and I finally got a few minutes to “choot” it. Appears that my new shootin’ iron works just fine. (Thanks Robb)
I have some 225 grain to try in it next visit, but I had no complaints with the 200 grain.
Short on time, I squeezed off a box of Ultramax 200 gr. free hand . I believe the gun shoots centered and point of aim with the 200gr. , the slight left and slight low along with a flyer is just me and it’s been a while. .. always a good day.
Now that it’s warming up, Anybody else been able to enjoy some sunshine and punch some holes lately?

·
Registered
366 Posts
All of mine are 45 Colt so I really don't have anything to compare them to. I like that caliber though, it is pretty easy to shoot and not punishing at all. Plus, 45 Colt ammo is easier to find than some of the other cowboy loads. Although, 38 Special or 357 Magnum would be easier to find... and cheaper. 44 Special is as expensive as 45 Colt but at least I could shoot that in my 44 Magnum revolvers. My LGS has a nickel plated SAA in 44 Special with 5.5" barrel that looks really nice. It is an early 3rd gen gun but he is asking $2295 for it which I think is a little high. It comes with the original box though and it appears to be unfired.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have a weakness for .38 and .357 SAAs...ammo is cheap, easily found and very accurate in my guns. This one, a 2nd gen NRA .357 Commemorative, has been rebarreled to 5.5" and a set of 2nd gen stocks added. Action was also nicely tuned by Alan Harton. My current fav; I like the 5.5" barrel length.
Bob

·
Registered
318 Posts
All of mine are 45 Colt. Mainly 'cause I'm too lazy to deal with "new" stuff like the 44-40 and 38-40.
SAAs Turnbull pair 001.JPG These are 2nd gen, consecutive s/n, Nutmeg ivory, Turnbull case colors & bluing.
4002.JPG A pair of early 3rd gen with Joe Perkins walnut grips.
New Frontier engraved 003.JPG 3rd gen new production NF, factory ivory and "B" engraved.
SAAs Andy's stags 001.JPG Late 90s 3rd gen with sambar stags - on the right from the custom shop.
Karol's Colts 005.JPG the wife's SASS match Colts, ivory by Nutmeg.
And yes, they are all 45s!

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have much more 45LC caliber SAA’s than anything else, but in trying them all, there are pro’s to them all . .. I can understand the favoring of 38spl since it’s readily available at much better prices, especially compared to the other “cowboy” pcalibers.
Plain to see to me that 44wcf / 44-40 is much harder for me to find than it was about ten years ago. I was able to find it in about a third of the gunshops that I visited. Just under $50 per box after taxes on average for magtech and other brands. Winchester brand is usually more than $50 after taxes. I already had some Ultramax and Black Hills and they’ve both been superb to me. No doubt that an avid shooter has to reload to avoid the .80 cents or so per bullet of factory loads.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
The .45 colt is the oldest and no doubt proven. That said, those paper thin cylinder walls especially over the cylinder stops has always bothered me so that`s why I like the .44 special. I have one .45, two .44 specials and one .32 wcf. The .32 feels like a anvil! The little chambers and heavier barrel make it unwieldy compared to the .45 and .44`s. I also have DA smiths in both .45 colt and .44 specials. Both shoot very comparable to me in both accuracy and recoil. Not enough difference to be noticeable with the loads I shot.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I own two 2nd Generation .44-40 which I used more then 10 years for CAS, five 3rd Generation .45Colt which I shoot only frequently, one 1st Generation .38-40 which is just a collectable and since two weeks a .357mag from 3rd Generation that I did bring to the shooting range yet. I also have one Uberti Cattleman in .44-40
Shooting .44-40 with full house BP load is my favorite :eek: pouring as much BP, no matter which brand, in the shell that a light crunch is audible when seating the 200gr bullet. Brings my mouth angles close to the ears. :eek:
Additionally I have four Peacemaker .22 from the G series in three different barrel length, all with .22mag cylinder, nice shooters.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have 5 Colts 4 peacemaker centennials 2 in 45 and 2 in 44-40, 1 3rd generation in 44 spec, with a factory fitted 44-40 cylinder, 2 UFSA in 44-40 with 44 special cylinder, and 3 Hartford deluxe in 44-40, 1 Uberti 1875 44-40, Sold: Great Western Arms 44 spec with 44-40 cylinder, Navy Arms 44-40, Navy Arms (Hager) and Navy Arms 45 1875. I would say 44-40, or 44spec.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I own two 2nd Generation .44-40 which I used more then 10 years for CAS, five 3rd Generation .45Colt which I shoot only frequently, one 1st Generation .38-40 which is just a collectable and since two weeks a .357mag from 3rd Generation that I did bring to the shooting range yet. I also have one Uberti Cattleman in .44-40
Shooting .44-40 with full house BP load is my favorite :eek: pouring as much BP, no matter which brand, in the shell that a light crunch is audible when seating the 200gr bullet. Brings my mouth angles close to the ears. :eek:
Additionally I have four Peacemaker .22 from the G series in three different barrel length, all with .22mag cylinder, nice shooters.
I wasn't aware that Colt made 2nd generation guns in 44-40, when were they made?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts