Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there know of this show this weekend or if there will be any good Antique Colt's there to see? I'm thinking of making the trek!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well tar heel, I have a question for you on guns. Would you say the good folks of NC like Colts or Smith more? The reason I ask that is I have a good friend who traveled the south that told me it seemed different states had more of one brand or the other on the gun store shelves. As a fellow tar heel born in NC but never been there since I was three months old I thought you might get a kick out of the question...or not maybe.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I'm from NC and I never noticed any brand preference. Everyone is different, and likes different things.

On that Fayetteville show, I don't know. Use to be, in the 1970s and 80s, any gun show in NC was decent. Antiques always show up more regularly in the more populated Eastern states, than way out west. You'd think it would be the opposite, but few people lived out here, and they keep their stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well tar heel, I have a question for you on guns. Would you say the good folks of NC like Colts or Smith more? The reason I ask that is I have a good friend who traveled the south that told me it seemed different states had more of one brand or the other on the gun store shelves. As a fellow tar heel born in NC but never been there since I was three months old I thought you might get a kick out of the question...or not maybe.
To answer your question as honestly as possible, I don't see a (preference)difference down here where Colt & S&W are concerned. Today it seemed like most of NC apparently favor Black Plastic A/R 15's, Black Plastic semi-autos, bumper stickers, pork skins, fudge, etc, and a lot of other un-related stuff! I'm only 47 but I guess that's the norm down there around Ft. Bragg with the younger GI's. The younger generation, maybe? It was a fairly big show as far as the shows I've ever been to. Not even 1 Colt SAA in the building as far as I could tell. Interesting but extremely un-eventful!

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm from NC and I never noticed any brand preference. Everyone is different, and likes different things.

On that Fayetteville show, I don't know. Use to be, in the 1970s and 80s, any gun show in NC was decent. Antiques always show up more regularly in the more populated Eastern states, than way out west. You'd think it would be the opposite, but few people lived out here, and they keep their stuff.
Not the case here now, Azshot! Relatively few antiques there today & most were waaay over priced. "Mix-Master" Garands, 1-'03 Hammerless, 1-Woodsman 3rd gen M/T that was priced about double what it was worth, and a German Luger, etc,etc.... The rest was an endless Sea Of Plastic. It was still a lot of fun on a dreary Saturday morning!

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
To answer your question as honestly as possible, I don't see a (preference)difference down here where Colt & S&W are concerned. Today it seemed like most of NC apparently favor Black Plastic A/R 15's, Black Plastic semi-autos, bumper stickers, pork skins, fudge, etc, and a lot of other un-related stuff! I'm only 47 but I guess that's the norm down there around Ft. Bragg with the younger GI's. The younger generation, maybe? It was a fairly big show as far as the shows I've ever been to. Not even 1 Colt SAA in the building as far as I could tell. Interesting but extremely un-eventful!
Seems like 99% of "gun shows" are pitiful anymore, beef jerky and plastic (just say no to plastic).

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
Seems like 99% of "gun shows" are pitiful anymore, beef jerky and plastic (just say no to plastic).
Keep your Colt hat on and look for Colt hammerless, Karma says they will look for you!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its pretty much the same here in Asheville. Seems it is the same dealers bringing the same stuff to every show, There is one older guy who brings a lot of Colts, but he likes them too much to offer a fair price. I occasionally see a Colt revolver at a fair price, considering they are cash out the door, no tax, and no background check (CC permit). But nothing I consider collectable quality.

I usually just pick up little stuff, grips, parts, ammo, etc. I have never traded any guns (+/- cash) at a gun show.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep your Colt hat on and look for Colt hammerless, Karma says they will look for you!
Ei8ht.....You'd of been proud of me. There was exactly ONE Hammerless there. A little North of 500 bux I believe. It was in a non correct box of some sort with some crude styro-foam cut out around it. Its a shame to see someone lay a pistol like that one in the junk heap that it was laying in, thinking that "that" would make it more desirable. Kinda sad but I guess now I'm somewhat of a Colt snob!

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its pretty much the same here in Asheville. Seems it is the same dealers bringing the same stuff to every show, There is one older guy who brings a lot of Colts, but he likes them too much to offer a fair price. I occasionally see a Colt revolver at a fair price, considering they are cash out the door, no tax, and no background check (CC permit). But nothing I consider collectable quality.

I usually just pick up little stuff, grips, parts, ammo, etc. I have never traded any guns (+/

webeColts, I wish I were out your way! I've only been to several shows around these parts & have yet to see any Colt revolvers other than the occasional old beat up Police Positive and 1 or 2 over priced re-blued small caliber 1st gen SAA's etc...etc... I'm not sure I'd even know how to act at a real gooood gun show! But hey....there's hope. Just got my Colt Collectors Association Winter issue of 'The Rampant Colt' and the 2018 show is gonna be in Charlotte! A little out of my price range but definitely would be an educational show & local to boot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts