Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My third series Colt Woodsman has 1 malfunction per 10 round mag when using this 22 ammo. The malfunctions are always the same, failure to eject a fired round. I have cleaned the chamber with a brass brush bent at a 45 degree angle. I never have this malfunction with my Ruger Mark 2. Is it the gun or the ammo. Maybe the Colt chambers are tight being it is a finely machined piece of art as compared to the Ruger. Any help would be appreciated.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,615 Posts
Match ammo is loaded to lower levels then standard ammo.

Often Match ammo doesn't have enough power to reliably operate a semi-auto.
The Woodsman models were built for standard ammo.

Try different ammo.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Generally when I "Chamber smooth" I use quality 1200 grit wet & dry sanding paper, rolled up, placed in the chamber and allowed to unroll to size, clamp and work to smooth.

Chamber smoothing & Extractor adjustment 001.JPG

However, I suspect you may have a slightly loose Extractor.
If you do not know how the Extractor is removed from the Slide go to Bob Rayburn's most excellent website at: 22 caliber rimfire semi-auto Colt pistol: .22 calibre Colt Woodsman
On the opening page of his website click the top left tab titled "Woodsman Repairs". On the repairs page scroll down past the photograph of the Woodsman Service Tool Kit and click on Tool #3 specific to the Extractor. Once you get the Extractor out of the Slide, place a slightly stronger bend into the Extractor shaft and reinstall and live fire test your Woodsman for proper extraction.

Chamber smoothing & Extractor adjustment 002.JPG

This adjustment will add hook capture pressure to the cartridge rim for a more firm extraction.
Your selection of ammunition is fine and your Woodsman will digest it without a failure.
Always feel free to contact me direct should the need arise.
Direct email address is posted on this page as well as on Bob's website "Woodsman Repairs" then 2nd paragraph "Send Email"
Good Luck,
Tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys I appreciate all your help. I sprayed the inside of the slide with Gun Scrubber and it cured the failure to extract. I did this once before when I had failures to fire, it cured that problem too. I know this is a poor excuse for a thorough cleaning, but I am scared to death to fully take this gun apart.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,615 Posts
As long as your cleaning method and re-lubricating method works, full disassembly probably isn't necessary.

Disassembly of the Woodsman slide is not too complicated.......
Here's a schematic...

http://stevespages.com/ipb-colt-woodsman.html

With the slide off grip the end of the extractor Part G with smooth jaw needle nose pliers and rotate it 180 degrees clockwise as viewed from the front of the slide, then pull it forward and out of the slide.

Screw the grip screw into the firing pin stop Part H on the bottom of the slide and pull it out. Keep a hand over the slide to restrain the firing pin and spring.
The firing pin and firing pin spring can be removed from the rear of the slide.

Press forward on the recoil spring guide with a small screwdriver and the assembly lock part J will disengage.

Ease the recoil spring and guide out.

With a small screwdriver lift the front end of the assembly lock Part J up and rotate the assembly lock plunger Part K 90 degrees to the Left as you look at the slide with the front end facing you and lift it out.

Work the assembly lock Part J forward and out of the grooves in the slide.

Reassemble in the reverse.
Probably, you can leave the assembly lock in place and just clean around it.

·
Administrator
7,291 Posts
Yes , you definitely want to apply lubrication after Gun Scrubber . It'll leave everything bone dry . Recommend being careful with wood grips too . some of the older finishes might be affected by the GS .

It was recommended earlier to try different ammo . Have you had this trouble with other ammo ?

Reactions: ponyup

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
At times when I telephone assist the Woodsman owner on the Field Strip(slide removal) and or the total disassembly of any series of Woodsman, I start by sending a basic functional view that I have generated. With many more self generated and unpublished tutorials on my computer and an ability to generate whatever is necessary, it is safe to say all Woodsman Pistols disassemble are re-assembled as designed.

Functional View 002.JPG

Sooner or later all firearms, fired or not, will need proper service to insure function and longevity as designed.
Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts