Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some once fires Federal brass in 38 Spl. Been shooting them in my Python, reloading with 158 gr. Berrys and 3.8 Bullseye. Many cases are split the full length, no problems with W-W or R-P. Not a lot, but when I lose an W-W or R-P, it's usually at the case mouth, after many loads. Anyone else having problems or is it just a bad batch of brass. Most have been loaded only 1 or 2 times.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
YEP, THAT HAPPENS. Some batches of Nickle cases are famous for doing this. FC brass quite often has tiny 'fault"lines that cause frequent splitting in less that tight spec chambers.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
some years ago, when the .32 H&R Magnum was still in its infancy, I bought four boxes of Federal .32 Magnum cartridges, primarily for the brass. When fired I experienced a high number of split cases. I contacted Federal about this and they sent me four replacement boxes and requested I return my cartridges, un-fired and fired cases also. Federal later sent me a report that apparently in shipping or storage the cartridges had been exposed to some caustic fumes that deteriorated the brass.

The replacement ammunition was fired and the cases reloaded many times without further problems.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes ...Thought it was brass from the late 80s or 90s .I brought a few thousands rounds of once fire nickel .that was federal .1 out of 4 splits .Thought it may have been new powder I was using .But found out from a few guys on here .it is a federal thing .They still must be having junk brass I thought it was just brass from then .They must have a problem at the factory in making it .or just still buying junk brass to make the cases.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have 3 off brand 327 Magnum revolvers. I bought up several boxes of the Federal American Eagle 327 ammunition. Had a few crack on first firing, hand loads cracked a few more. I decided to set a batch of once fired aside and try annealing them. First time I had ever annealed hand gun cases. It seems to have increased case life; of course I'll never know for sure but I'll be doing it with all my OF 327 cases from now on.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Nickel cases seem to work-harden much faster and split faster as a result.

Years ago when I was much more active shooting NRA Action Pistol, I was shooting 400-500 rounds of 38 Special per week in practice. Practice brass was mostly range pick-up and a wide range of head stamps. Loads were not hot, 148gr bullet at 850 FPS. I would inspect and cull the cracked/split brass after cleaning while sitting at the reloader.

It finally dawned on me that I had a much higher percentage of cracked nickel cases than brass cases. I don't even pick up nickel cases anymore.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The 327 F.M. cases that cracked for me were brass. I'm annealing now. Problem alleviated!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts