Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I'm a new member interested in purchasing a Python in SS or Bright Polished SS in 6 inch or 8 inch with original paper work and box. I've spent weeks on Gunbroker and other sites and all I can only say there is far to much "slide of hand" with paperwork and boxes. Very creative deception as well with the exception of one individual who is holding up his "original box" using his thumb to cover the SN. It seems to be as the market has climbed finding an honest representation is very difficult. There are some reputable sellers on GB who I've purchased from who were indeed A+ people. It is inappropriate to list "Wanted to Buy" on this site?
I appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
It's a Jungle out there so you have come to a safe place. The Want to Buy Section is very affective at producing leads. Feed free to post your want ad and see what surfaces. Lots of trustworthy people here.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Pleiku5thgroup, welcome to the forum.

The two configurations of Python you are most interested in happen to be the ones most often "doctored" with. However, like Keystone said, none of these bogus packages can escape the sharp eyes of Colt Forum members. If you find one that interests you, post a link here and a bunch of guys will be all over it for you with advise you can rely on.

In regards to your interest in Bright Stainless, which by the way is a worthy endeavor, I have recently seen a significant number of home-grown polished Pythons, listed as "Bright Stainless". When you see such a listing, and there is no box, no box label, no Colt Archives Letter, you can be sure it is not a factory finish (or at least assume it is not). When you see a Bright Stainless Python with a box and box label, link it here and someone (or a bunch of someones) will help you authentic it.

Here are a few recent completed Gun Broker auctions where Pythons were listed as having a "Bright Stainless" finish without the benefit of an authentic label or Colt Archives Letter. One would be wise to assume these Pythons began life with a Stainless Steel Finish, and then later were polished on a work bench.

Colt Python,bright stainless,6 inch,new in the box : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
- No label, no Colt Letter, yet listed as NIB. One will never know with photos as poor as these.

Colt Python .357 Magnum 4" NO RESERVE 357 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
- This seller has auctioned quite a few Bright Stainless Colts recently, including a Grizzly and Kodiak, which Colt never offered in this finish. It seems he made out very well with his work bench quality Colts, but they will never letter as Bright Stainless. .

Bright Stainless Steel Colt Python, Elite Grips 6" : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
- Take note of the fake label in this auction. These dishonest sellers are trying their darnedest to get that "NIB" premium from you and this is one of the ways they do it.

6" Python Bright Stainless-Flawless/Collector Grd : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
- Here is another twist on the fake label scheme. This style Colt packaging is about 12 years ahead of factory packaging in this serial number range. One should also suspect a shill bidder, and a re-list at some point in the future.

Best of luck to you with the search, and don't hesitate to ask here before buying.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kanatak. I've managed through a great deal of due-diligence to ferret out some of the problems, but at that rate it would take me a decade to equal the collective wisdom and credibility of this esteemed group. I would be happy to purchase some Pythons at market price but finding a complete and correct package without this group's input would be foolish. I will stop shopping again this week.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Easy solution for me is bright stainless NEEDS to be accompanied my original box or a letter from Colt, otherwise it is satin and worth satin values no matter how adamant the seller.
"I was there when my father bought it. . . "
"I'm the only owner and I never polished it . . ."
"My wife can tell you! She remembers . . . "
"My dog is allergic to satin stainless so it can't be . . ."
Blah blah blah

·
Registered
621 Posts
6" Python Bright Stainless-Flawless/Collector Grd : Revolvers at GunBroker.com - Here is another twist on the fake label scheme. This style Colt packaging is about 12 years ahead of factory packaging in this serial number range. One should also suspect a shill bidder, and a re-list at some point in the future.
Take a look who the winning bidder was on this one. Looks like the Fake Box Man is starting to believe his own BS. Or as you point out he is the shill bidder

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been checking his ' original Colt Boxes' ad and find it amusing that there could be so many "Original Factory New " boxes out there. Most likely he outsourced these to a print shop in China ( a friend has outsourced machine parts from there) . And I just learned about the fake bright stainless scam ; did not think someone would polish out a pistol and them re-label it as a real piece( I just polished a S&W Model 13 to a bright finish but I sure as hell won't claim it's a " one of a kind bright Model 13 :rolleyes: ).
New guy here, just getting back into the revolvers after a 30 year hiatus into high power rifle competitive shooting .

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Here are the steps that lead me to the conclusion:

First, a familiarity with this seller should tell you to expect monkey-bidness with his listings. He's been playing the "NIB" money-for-nuthin game for quite a long time.

Next, noticed the serial number of the Python predates the style of packaging in the auction. While it is possible a T29xxx was shipped this way, I have several in the T40XXX range that were not. I would put the odds at 98% against.

Then, if one were to assume the correct style of box (which it isn't), an examination of the label would clearly show that there is not a single number or character that is printed in the style of those found on authentic labels from the "Colt Craftsmanship" box era.

·
Registered
229 Posts
+1 What Kanatak said. Compare the Font on that label with a correct label and it is clear that both the letters and numerals are in a font that Colt never used. The numbers in the serial number look completely different than what Colt used. The word "PYTHON" should be in a larger font than ".357 MAGNUM" "6 INCH" and "BSTS". Once you study real boxes you can pick out fakes like this very easily. Here is a box from my 4" Python that was purchased new by a friend of mine.
. Text Font

Reactions: gatewayad
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.