Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I read the Threads, I get the feeling there are no female members on this Forum. Admittedly, at gun shows I see very few female collectors, but there are a few. In particular, I know there are some very well known female engravers like Denise Therion (sp?) and Lisa Tomlin as well as some excellent female grip makers. Surely some are members of this Forum.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I have seen a few women on here. Not many that actively post in the areas I venture though. I am sure there are many more that are just not active.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I know I speak for many other guys when I say they are always welcome in our discussion of Colt's!
Always welcome may be an understatement. I think all us gentlemen would love to have hundreds of interested women on here and in real life that we could discuss Colts with. Oh to be able to sit and talk firearms with my wife and to have her actually care or be able to engage back in conversation with enthusiasm would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Always welcome may be an understatement. I think all us gentlemen would love to have hundreds of interested women on here and in real life that we could discuss Colts with. Oh to be able to sit and talk firearms with my wife and to have her actually care or be able to engage back in conversation with enthusiasm would be awesome.
Don't hold your breath. In 40 years of shooting I've met no women who actually pursued guns or shooting sports. There were a few who pretended interest in pursuit of someone but they soon dropped the interest.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I tend to agree. We have a few women that shoot at our range on occasion, but I think BS hit it on head. My wife is interested in my Colts to the point that I am happily spending my retirement years doing something I want to do. She will buy anything she sees that is firearm related, in hopes I will be excited about it. For that effort and concern I feel I am a very lucky man.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
My own experience also, over the decades, is I have seen very few Women who were interested in Firearms or in any of the Shooting Sports.

And, among the few who appear to be, it ends up being one of two things - raised with it and staying with it for-ever and into patches/jackets/competition venues, competition Arms, or, a short term interest began as an adult, which does not continue or evolve even if it may plateau with CCW and once a year half hour practice at a Range and owning one Hand Gun. And, almost nothing in-be-tween.

Back in the 1980s when I was shooting a lot at the local indoor Range, I had many acquaintances, some of whom were Women, and, I ended up providing instruction on request, for a maybe ten or so new-to-Guns Women, all of whom were a joy to work with and walk through the learning phases and details, and, all of whom did very well and took to it wonderfully and were quite good shots very soon on, with good safety habits and attention to detail.

None of my efforts in providing Shooting Instruction for new-to-guns Men, were anywhere near as successful or pleasant or easy!

So, it is ironic to me, and a little disappointing, that there are not more Women interested in Guns and in continuing their learning, acumen, facility, 'collecting', and so on, with them.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN MARRIED 13 YEARS COME JUNE. We were married on the firing line at the Whittington Center June 7, 2001. She took to shooting like a bass on a june bug as she has superb eye/hand coordination due to being a professional musician. The first time she ever shot a p[istol she started with tincans at about 20' and in a very short while was knocking the stew out of 'em at 40 yards.
I started her using my pistols and when she said she wanted this one I told her NO!, go buy your own k22. And in a while of looking she found a twenty year old one that is a shooting sumbiscuit and I had Tedd make a new set of Skeeter Skelton stocks for it, just for her Then she liked my S&W M631 4" 32; she went and bought one I found for her. She now has a M15 38, a USFA 5 1/2" 44SPL, and a S&W M63-4 5"HB 22 that may be the finest Kitgun i ever saw. And i almost forgot to mention the M36-1 4" 22 she found for sale and bought on the spot !!
We burn about 800+ rounds a week and I load all of her center fire ammunition and buy her the 22LR ammunition by the case.
I still have all on my guns and a few more and she has all of hers and a few more. She has no interest in internet gunsites and to tell the truth I am also getting sick'n'tired of all the braindead palaver on most gunsites
where the internet has given the terminal knuckleheads a place to run-off-at-the-mouth about that they proveably know nothing about and expect those who do to spoon feed 'em like pablum to babies. Judy saw through this in a bout an hour of looking at some of the shooting sites and I was mighty proud to see she knew the difference, guys.
And so it goes...

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
There have been a handful of female members that post, but typically not often. I recall a lady selling a collection asking for advice and a few others asking and commenting on gun values but that's pretty much the involvement, thus far. That's not to say there are not quite a few that monitor the site for answers or may know as much if not more than many about certain models.

My wife was taught by her dad to shoot at a very young age and his mantra was "You get one shot to bring home dinner". Revolver or rifle she will consistently place shots in the "breadbasket" of the target and has outshot a number of gentlemen that I know. That said, she's a member of other forums that lend themselves to her main hobby of quilting. I suspect that while more women are taking up CC and learning about firearms, they still, as a demographic, lag behind in numbers for this particular interest. It will be interesting to see if there will be a shift for more participation somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
440 Posts
MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN MARRIED 13 YEARS COME JUNE. We were married on the firing line at the Whittington Center June 7, 2001. She took to shooting like a bass on a june bug as she has superb eye/hand coordination due to being a professional musician. The first time she ever shot a p[istol she started with tincans at about 20' and in a very short while was knocking the stew out of 'em at 40 yards.
I started her using my pistols and when she said she wanted this one I told her NO!, go buy your own k22. And in a while of looking she found a twenty year old one that is a shooting sumbiscuit and I had Tedd make a new set of Skeeter Skelton stocks for it, just for her Then she liked my S&W M631 4" 32; she went and bought one I found for her. She now has a M15 38, a USFA 5 1/2" 44SPL, and a S&W M63-4 5"HB 22 that may be the finest Kitgun i ever saw. And i almost forgot to mention the M36-1 4" 22 she found for sale and bought on the spot !!
We burn about 800+ rounds a week and I load all of her center fire ammunition and buy her the 22LR ammunition by the case.
I still have all on my guns and a few more and she has all of hers and a few more. She has no interest in internet gunsites and to tell the truth I am also getting sick'n'tired of all the braindead palaver on most gunsites
where the internet has given the terminal knuckleheads a place to run-off-at-the-mouth about that they proveably know nothing about and expect those who do to spoon feed 'em like pablum to babies. Judy saw through this in a bout an hour of looking at some of the shooting sites and I was mighty proud to see she knew the difference, guys.
And so it goes...
And you sir, are a very lucky man.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My wife and I will have been married 40 years tomorrow. She loves to shoot and is a great shot! But I don't think she would post up on any forum, guns or not, just not her thing.
I do see several female posters on a regular basis on our local forum, Northwest Firearms CommunityI like to hear other points of view, male or female......

But no shooting on our anniversary as we flew through the huge storm to Aruba. So no guns with us here, just Sun and white sand.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Women, in general, are not all that interested in guns. I took my wife deer hunting once and she liked it ok but once was enough. She will shoot now and then but doesn't really care much about guns or shooting.
My daughters have some interest and like to shoot now and then.
I gave my youngest daughter a nickel plated,long frame Det Spl. for Christmas. It is beautiful (after I polished it and waxed it to perfection) AND it shoots dead on left/right and with 140 grain JHP's its perfect out to 20 yards(or farther) She liked it a lot. She is a good shot in fact better than most men.
I met a few women that did have a more than usual interest in guns. One bought a safe to keep her's in. When I first met her, I noticed she had a circular cut over her eye. I told her it looked like a rifle scope hit her. Yeah she said I got "scope eye". She was also a good looking girl and pretty savy about guns.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hey, I appreciate all who spoke out. The couple women and the several men who pointed out their shooter women friends. I just say they are the exceptions that prove the rule which I hereby state: Very few women are interested in shooting and collecting guns. You who have one are fortunate.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
My wife has an interest in guns and hunting. She does like to go with me when I shoot and shoot her gun plus my guns. Although she is not a good shot by any means and needs a lot more practice. As far as knowledge goes and being capable of having meaningful in depth conversation gun wise, that is where the line is drawn. Currently I do not hunt and have not since I was young. She says she would like to go hunting. I am not sure if she would actually get into it or not. I guess the only way to find out is to get back out there myself and take her along. So I shouldn't say she has no interest in guns whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.