Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I seem to have a problem with the search feature of this site... I am probably repeating a question asked previously...

I am wondering whether to invest the time and effort to acquire a Federal Firearms License...

1st off I live in Michigan and I would be applying to conduct business (however for the most part a hobby) out of my home... That in itself may be a show stopper¬Ö

In doing a search on the net I was bombarded with a number of shady outfits and their guarantees (if it sounds to good to be true, you know the rest...) that they would spoon feed me and virtually insure that I'd be up and running as a full fledged FFL in just a few short months... For whatever reason I can not come up with any legit info thus my inquiry...

Have any of you had the experience in obtaining an FFL??? Did you use any of the FFL (Kits) offered on the net??? What procedures did you use/follow??? Do you use your FFL as a full fledged business or simply as a hobby and the occasional favor for a friend??? And finally is it worth while both in general and specifics???

Lots of questions for sure¬Ö Your input will be greatly appreciated¬Ö

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Unless you live in a commercial zoned area then that may be your first obstacle. The home or "kitchen table" dealers are a thing of the past.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
The FFL system changed under Bill Clinton.

Today, the ATF want to issue FFL's ONLY to people who are actually going to "engage in the business of selling firearms".

With that in mind, they make it as hard as possible to qualify, and they are "hinky" about issuing basement dealers licenses.

They want to hear about your security system and alarms, your business hours, and your "store front" or physical premises.

They will insist on your having ALL state and local licenses, permits, a state tax number, and local zoning OK's.

You'll be photographed, fingerprinted, and investigated.
As I understand current procedures, your entire house will be open to searches.

In other words, the ATF does NOT want any "hobby" FFLs, or people who just want to save money themselves.

Now, this is NOT to say you won't get a FFL, but you may not like what you have to go through to get it, and keep it.

As a alternative, there is a C&R or Collector and Relic license that allows you to buy C&R listed guns.

This included most any gun more than 50 years old.

The C&R license is MUCH easier to get, and it IS intended for hobbyist and personal use.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

That seems to be the General Consensus¬Ö In my case it is not in the cards but I had to make sure¬Ö

FYI, a gentleman “Dave” gave me the following input that other folks may find useful if they have simular but different questions on obtaining an FFL and my asking if the yahoos on the net were to good to be true...

Most of those places just sell you copies of the forums that you can get for free from the ATF:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm
Select "F7 (5310.12)" and they will send you the application for an FFL, fingerprint cards and some other paperwork.

However, the days of people getting an FFL to buy an occasional gun for yourself and friends is over. The ATF requires a local business license (or proof that a home-based firearms business without a license is legal in your area). Many cities or counties prohibit this. Depending on what your state requirements are, you might need a state firearms license and/or a tax ID number. Expect a visit from your local ATF Inspector to verify that you are set up to run a legitimate business, have secure storage for firearms and have all your state and local licenses in order.

Also, the cost of an FFL is $200 for the first 3 years. That plus all the licensing requirements hardly make it worth the effort for a hobby. Before getting started, I'd check with whoever issues business licenses in your area - Licensing Office, Zoning Office, City Manager, etc. and see if it's legal. I'd also contact the ATF Inspector who is responsible for your area and talk with him or her as well. You can find your ATF Field Office here:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/field/index.htm

Here is some additional info and a nice FAQ on FFLs:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nlc/ffl_info.htm

My many thanks to you all,
Rick

·
Registered
60 Posts
FYI: C&R stands for Curio & Relic.

It costs $30.00 for a three year license.

Once you get it, you can get discounts from Brownell's and Midway USA.

The C&R license was created to allow collectors to acquire firearms from out of their state of residence. This means, you can't (or, are not supposed to,) go to your local FFL and buy a 50 year old gun and walk out without filling out a yellow horseblanket form. BATF sent a notice to this effect to all C&R holders about 6 mos ago.

You get no dealer privileges by getting a C&R. You just are able to have old guns shipped directly to your house. All other rules and laws still apply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts