Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need an FFL to ship a handgun to another FFL, or can I ship it to a FFL?

·
Registered
348 Posts
You need a FFL to ship threw the USPS, but you don't always need a FFL to ship to a FFL.If the state that you are shipping to and the FFL accept shipments from individuals then you can ship via UPS or Fedex.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Nicsco is correct, however my experience shipping a gun to a FFL out of state thru UPS was going to cost me over $80. I then went to the FFL dealer I use for transferring purchased guns and he handled it for only the cost of USPS Priority Mail postage: $25.00. It's a good idea to build a relationship with a good reliable dealer!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Alot of FFL's will NOT accept a gun shipped from a private party.Mine says it is a matter of a clear chain of custody from the shipping FFL to him.In the case of a private party there is a matter of additional liability to him if he accepts it and there is a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
All FFL's have their own set of rules. My FFL will accept a shipment from an individual as long as they include a copy of their drivers license. The above comments are correct in that is cheaper to ship from your FFL vs. UPS or FedEx, as they can use USPS, "If it fits it ships"

·
Registered
348 Posts
I ship all the time and it's definately worth going threw a FFL and shipping USPS for the Flat Rate boxes.The insurance is a little costly but the most I find even on items under $2000 it runs around $35 for everything.Can't beat that!

·
Registered
251 Posts
You need a FFL to ship threw the USPS, but you don't always need a FFL to ship to a FFL.If the state that you are shipping to and the FFL accept shipments from individuals then you can ship via UPS or Fedex.Hope this helps.
In Pennsylvania it's legal for an FFL to receive a firearm from an individual but not all FFL's will do it. In my local area I had to ask around before I found one willing to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts