Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of receiving a revolver from an online seller. I've gone through this process 3 other times, this is the fourth. The first time was horribly confusing because the shop owner let his wife "do the talking" and she was neither polite or knowledgeable about the process- she insisted on getting a faxed copy of the seller's FFL, which confused everyone involved. When I returned and spoke with the owner, he was just as confused because he knew the correct way to do it. The next two times were easy- my FFL just gave me their website/email address and had the seller's FFL contact them and make the arrangements.

When I originally called them they just gave me their email address (like the previous 2 FFLs had) and said to have them send an email and they'd get them the license. The current seller was evidently expecting that I would have enclosed a copy of my new FFL's license with payment. I offered to call them tomorrow and try to straighten it all out.

How is it SUPPOSED to work? Is this some kind of Connecticut/New England "attitude?"

I keep changing FFLs based on convenience of location, if anyone is curious.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Every firearm I bought online, it was up to me to have my, the receiving FFL, email or FAX their FFL to the seller.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I have seen a lot of dealers getting confused, making up their own rules etc, but the procedure is very simple. There are two options:

1: The sending dealer gets the receiving dealer's FFL (via fax, email, snail mail or whatever), then ships with a copy of his FFL in the box.
2: The sending and receiving dealers exchange copies of their FFLs before the shipment.

Option 1 is the most common, but some receiving dealers want a copy of the sender's FFL before they accept the shipment. I don't know their reasoning for this, to me it's much less confusing to get it in the box together with the gun.

The purpose of the exercise is that both dealers must have copies of the other dealer's FFL, so the gun can be properly logged out at the time it ships, and properly logged in at the time it's received. My best advice is to get the two dealers hooked up and let them take care of it, that should take all the confusion out of it.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
A handgun goes FFL to FFL.
Many times the non-FFL buyer simply sends along the receiving FFL's license copy along with payment.
When the selling non-FFL holder receives the FFL license copy and payment he/she takes the FFL paper and handgun to the shipping FFL.
It's up to the shipping FFL to confirm the receiving FFL is legit.
Sometimes the recieving FFL won't hand over a copy of his license to the buyer - which is ridiculous. But it happens. And for the life of me there's no reason why they won't. The gun HAS TO BE shipped to a physical address-the FFL holders address.
To have someone's copy of the FFL license means nothing, but some FFL's protect it like it life or death. I mean I wouldn't stand on the corner and hand out copies of mine - but they are out there and it's really no big deal.
So you simply let them do it theirself via fax or email.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am wondering if this is some kind of Connecticut lawmaker attempt so that residents can't (somehow???) falsify a copy of the FFL. It's just so strange that I've had 3 of them just say, "have them email us and we'll get it over to them." Sometimes it's a confusing PITA, sometimes it isn't.

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
When I make an Internet gun purchase, I email my FFL holder (receiver) and request him to email his FFL copy to the FFL sender (shipper) .
Almost everyone operates through email now.- but if the shipper wants a fax or a “signed hard copy “ mailed to them, that’s not a huge thing. It’s just much quicker to do email.
Many larger internet firearm stores will already have a copy of my FFL holders permit.. (when they’ve done previous transfers) so I don’t have to do anything in those cases.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts

I keep changing FFLs based on convenience of location, if anyone is curious.
It REALLY helps to build a relationship with an FFL and stick with him for all such occasions. If he knows you and trusts you, that also makes things a lot easier if any issues ever arise, and in online buying, sooner or later they will. Forget "convenience of location", that's worth a drive.

I have a pdf. copy of my transfer dealer's FFL on my desktop. I e-mail it to the seller when I call or mail to conclude the transaction. The first my FFL hears of anything is when I text or e-mail him "Gun incoming. ETA in two days. Text me when I can come and get it."

That's how I like it.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
It REALLY helps to build a relationship with an FFL and stick with him for all such occasions. If he knows you and trusts you, that also makes things a lot easier if any issues ever arise, and in online buying, sooner or later they will. Forget "convenience of location", that's worth a drive.

I have a pdf. copy of my transfer dealer's FFL on my desktop. I e-mail it to the seller when I call or mail to conclude the transaction. The first my FFL hears of anything is when I text or e-mail him "Gun incoming. ETA in two days. Text me when I can come and get it."

That's how I like it.
Yep, this is how it works best.

·
Registered
803 Posts
It's not that hard. Most guys use email. I personally do not use fax because email is more than sufficient enough. I don't even speak to most FFL's as phone calls aren't needed most of the time

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I got a signed copy of three local FFL - 01's licenses. I scanned them into my computer. When they expire I visit my local dealer and they give me the renewed copy. As an internet buyer I merely upload the FFL image to an email and send to the seller immediately upon purchase of the weapon and email notify that FFL dealer who the gun will be sent to.

As an internet seller I have received the FFL from buyers, who have previously obtained their dealer's license copy, and also from the dealer himself. I get 01 and 03 licenses since I am an 03 FFL. Then I keep all such copies with my FFL-03 paperwork.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
When I make an Internet gun purchase, I email my FFL holder (receiver) and request him to email his FFL copy to the FFL sender (shipper).
^^This^^ in Ct. In CT, the 2 easiest FFLs to use, as well as the most reasonably priced are 860firearms in Enfield and Delta Arsenal in Wallingford. DELTA charges $20 and 860 is $25. Both will email their info to the seller for a quick easy transaction. Delta is good about picking up the same day a gun arrives. 860 works out of his house so it's as easy as scheduling an appointmentment.

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
I lived up in Norwich when I worked on the sub support facility in Groton, CT .. that was back in the late ‘80’s when the submarines were wooden and leaked a lot. :)
I liked guns a lot but didn’t own or know about Colts then.. (a good thing because I survived on military pay). Always regretted never visiting the Colt facility then.

Anyway- I agree with the crowd that it’s easier to stick with the same FFL dealer or dealers. Many will give you an email copy to have on hand like mentioned. My guy recquires I contact him each time for it, but on the positive side, he calls me immediately upon shipment arrival and his people are professional in handling firearms.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My FFL will take guns from private sellers only if the seller sends a picture ID. Then he sends a copy of his FFL with it written in big letters that it is a copy. When the gun gets to him he does a stolen gun search and background check before it goes to the buyer. He had one that was really funny, seems a fellow had a gun shipped to him that turned out to be stolen. The buyer was the one who turned the gun in as stolen and the cops refused to give it to him because they didn't compare the name from the report and his name. Bueacrats :bang_wall:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buick,
This latest one is Delta. On their website, and over the phone they requested that the seller contact their email address. If I am reading it correctly, their website says they won't give the buyer their FFL. They are half the price of every other one I've used!

I guess I'll email them with the seller's address from here on out.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts