Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FHP 5\" NickleTrooper

This non cataloged model was discussed a few months ago on the forum-and today,I got lucky & found one. Saw it next to a couple of nice Officers Models,and the 1" shorter bbl. was obvious. Salesperson gladly allowed me to remove the rubber "pachs"that had been on it a long time,to check for "pitting"(there is some on base of trigger guard,but rest is beautiful).Of course,besides pitting,my motive was to see the bottom of butt,hidden by "pachs". Yup,FHP 5xx. Gun functioned fine,,but I fitted a new hand to get a tighter lockup,plus gave it a well needed internal cleaning,and cleaned & polished it with Maas polish.I had both service stocks & correct target stocks,in my "stock"(havent quite sold em all to members here-yet!)and I liked the service stocks,with a stainless,polished grip adapter the best,as I do with nearly all my E & I frame Colts.Any idea of how many were made for the FHP in 1966? and how they were sold when FHP "retired"them,as there is are "INS" stamped in inside of left grip frame,but doubt if the INS ever used this type.Thanks,Bud

·
Registered
600 Posts
Re: FHP 5\" NickleTrooper

Hey Bud: What a nice catch there on the FHP Trooper! Wonder how it found its way up to the great northeast from FL? Those are scarce guns, and guys here in FL are always on the hunt for them. As to the INS marking, I asked about that marking a while back and DFariswheel (as I recall) informed me here that it was an INSpection marking and commonplace on '60s Colt revolvers. If you can how about posting some pics of your new Trooper for the rest of us to enjoy?
Charlie Flick

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Dont have a digital camera,Charlie. Thanks for the confirmation on the "INS" markings. Just got in from my "backyard";nice to have your own range! Trigger is a little heavy on S.A.,but it was a police weapon,and who wants hair triggers there? My only "complaint",are the nickle plated sights! After all,Florida is the "Sunshine State",and I guess Im not used to the reflections(rear sight is natural metal,or nickle worn off.). I can see the nickle finish,due to the humidity,but why couldnt the FHP have the rear sight,at least, blued? Previous owner had painted in a "red ramp",but I removed that & use my "permanent black marker",which rubbing alcohol instantly removes from the sights. Sure are easy to see sights in dim light though! Think if I put some fake stags on it Charlie,it would qualify for what the S&W guys call a "barbecue gun"???? Thanks again. Bud

·
Registered
600 Posts

Bud: Yep, I think it would quallify as a BBQ gun if you did that, although for the full effect you'd need to have your initials engraved in a prominent place on it and have the trigger and hammer gold plated! Sounds like a very nice gun as is, and glad to hear it shoots well. If it were mine, I think I'd lean towards putting the 'correct' grips back on it. I guess I am pretty much a sucker for originality in my own guns, although nice old stags can be exquisitely beautiful. I think you are going to have a good time with that old Trooper! Enjoy it.
Charlie

[This message has been edited by ordnanceguy (edited 07-23-2004).]

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

can you please post the butt number as i am currently doing researh on the FHP .357 , please advise rj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts