Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that my high polished SS Colt Python is marked FHP 2159 on the butt.

I read that the Florida Highway Patrol liked Colt revolvers.

Anyway to know if this is one of their guns?

Thanks
Geoff

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sure sounds like one. When I came on the Patrol, the rookies got Colt Troopers, the old salts got the phythons. The Colt Troopers had the FHP # on the frame, the phythons did not. The one phython issued to me before we went to the berretta 9mm had rubber grips that covered the grip frame, so i did not notice if the weapon was numbered or not. I beleave all of the Patrols revolvers were numbered, All the colt troopers and smith models 27 and 19's were. If you might want to part with that phython let me known.
FHPTROOPER

·
Registered
586 Posts
Here's a few shots of my FHP Trooper with 5" barrel. The only FHP marking is on the butt. Picked it up at a gun show for under $250. When I was a city cop in south Fla., the troopers were carrying issued Pythons.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
FHPTROOPER; I have an FHP Trooper,and have a question. How did you guys ever pick uo those nickle plated sights in the bright Florida sunshine?? Most of my hand guns are blued,so I am not used to sighting the nickled ones(S&W blued their adjustable sights,front & rear on their nickled guns). Once I put black magic marker on the nickled sights(comes right off with alcohol) the gun proved to be a superb shooter, For cloudy days(a lot of these up here in Maine!) or at night,the nickled ones are great-but bright sunshine,leaves me puzzled. Thanks for any info.

Also,what type of grips did the Troopers "wear"? I know they came with target stocks,but I have heard that many patrolmen preferred the smaller "service stocks"? Bud

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lonewolf most Troopers put red nail polish on the ramp to cut down on the glare. Most if not all the revolvers being issued when I came on wore aftermarket rubber grips. Troopers could put any type of grip they liked on their revolver after it was issued to them. I will say one thing about the Colt Trooper, the one I was issued was proberly 20 years old when it was issued to me. It had seen hard use and many thousands of rounds, but it still shot like a champ.
FHPTROOPER

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thanks,FHPTROOPER for the information. And welcome to the Forum!! I bought my FHP Trooper last summer,and it came with rubber grips,which I have replaced with 60's vintage target stocks in one mode,and 60's vintage service stocks with a polished aluminim Tyler T grip(as seen in CFPython's nice photos).

My gun was also tight,but I did not like the feel of its nickled trigger,so it now has an early checkered trigger from a pre-war Official Police.

Thanks for the information,I appreciate it.

Bud

·
Registered
265 Posts
FHPTROOPER,

Were you allowed to purchase a Trooper or Python when the FHP transitioned to autos? Can you buy your issue gun when you retire?

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
JCM, would you believe I could have purchase my python, a 4in ss for 450 dollars when we went to the 9mm. I passed on it because I already had several 357 smiths. Live and learn. As far as when you retire (five more years for me Lord willing) no you dont have to buy your duty weapon they give it to you. So unless we go to something else it will be the 40 baretta. Wish i still carried my Python.
FHPTROOPER

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
The times sure have changed.
Today if you tried to issue an even slightly used pistol to a lawman, you'd have 52 lawsuits filed over it claiming inadequate equipment.

If you tried to issue a bright nickel or polished stainless gun the Chief and all the politicians would have an attack of the vapors and would have to retire to the couch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts