Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just watched it for the first time in decades a few weeks ago. That triggered a re-watch of all of them. In my opinion Dirty Harry is by far the best. It's a film. The character had some dimension (broke, lonely, mention of his marriage, etc.). Scorpio is one of the greatest screen villains in film history, and the cinematography is superb. Magnum Force is certainly good, and of course it is perhaps the ultimate double action revolver movie (actual speedloaders) despite Eastwood using the worst two-handed grip in film history.

After Magnum Force the character becomes pathetically one dimensional and the plots fill in the blank. Don't get me wrong, they're still fun, but Dirty Harry is a masterpiece.

Just my humble opinion of course. : )

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wait, someone just watched "Dirty Harry" for the first time? Did you just get your first TV or something? :D

Anyone that enjoyed that movie should see "Charley Varrick," by the same director, Don Siegel. It stars Walther Matthau as a crop-duster pilot that robs banks on the side, until he hits one bank that has...something wrong with it. Also stars Andrew Robinson (Scorpio) and Joe Don Baker among others.

It's a little harder to find, but does show up on some streaming services. And it's got Colts in it, you'll have to watch it to see which one Matthau carries!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wait, someone just watched "Dirty Harry" for the first time? Did you just get your first TV or something? :D

Anyone that enjoyed that movie should see "Charley Varrick," by the same director, Don Siegel. It stars Walther Matthau as a crop-duster pilot that robs banks on the side, until he hits one bank that has...something wrong with it. Also stars Andrew Robinson (Scorpio) and Joe Don Baker among others.

It's a little harder to find, but does show up on some streaming services. And it's got Colts in it, you'll have to watch it to see which one Matthau carries!
Charley Varrick is a little know gem and one of my favorite Matthau films. Everybody in it does a great job but Joe Don Baker's performance is chilling.
Dr.Tramp...........

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Like everyone else I couldn't find a Model 29 after the movie came out. When Magnum Force came out in 1973 I bought my first Python. I figured they would be as hot as the .44 though it didn't happen till decades later!;)

Rick, Nice early Model 29, I'm curious of it's year? With the diamond grips it's probably older then the movie.
They always say the 44 Magnum was not a real success for S&W until "Dirty Harry".
Thanks for sharing the badge and revolver. (Yeah I have one too, not that cool badge like you guys have though.)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts