Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
OMG!!! NOT THE FRACAS!!! I hate when that happens!!
"Well...I guess this little fracas is about over." John Wayne in "The Commancharos".

·
Registered
217 Posts
I liked how Callahan had to have the biggest guns. The S&W Model 29 44 Magnum and for the night stakeout a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Magnum. I have shot both and vividly remember the experience, especially the .458 Mag.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
'Dirty Harry' was the first 'R' rated film I saw back in the early to mid 70's. I had just become a Clint Eastwood fan and after seeing the film, I was hooked and saw most all of his films since.
My high school buddy was all Clint Eastwood, me I was more of a John Wayne fan. But with him we saw just about all of Clint's flicks because back in those days the "Drive- Ins" would show a marathon of movies.

I remember driving down to a cinema theater in Miami, we lived in Ft. Lauderdale, and watching Dirty Harry being played with The Wild Bunch, both were of course Warner Bros. productions. The Wild Bunch was pretty vivid sitting in the front row.

Speaking of "R" rated movies I had to get my parents to take me to see The Wild Bunch the first time.

We, me and my buddy, went down to some theater in Miami and saw A Clockwork Orange, which IIRC was "X" Rated. I cannot remember which class it was but I mentioned seeing A. C. O. and the teacher was like "What" and demanded where we saw it. I had to be honest with him and told him I had no idea and didn't know if I could find that movie theater again.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I just finished rereading "John Wayne American" and was surprised to note that Paramount Pictures offered John Wayne the part of Harry Callahan in the Dirty Harry movie. It would have been interesting to see how he played the part versus Clint.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Frank Sinatra was offered the role as was John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and Burt Lancaster. All turned it down for various reasons. John Wayne ended up doing "Brannigan" and "McQ" as roles in the same vein as "Dirty Harry".

·
Registered
9,154 Posts

Yeah, I know it's not the custom Automag but Lee Juras wouldn't make me one!
Rick...was the AutoMag from the Mack Bolan period of your life?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Possibly in later books but he originally carried a .44 Automag. I think the Executioner series began before the Desert Eagle was ever produced.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
I just finished rereading "John Wayne American" and was surprised to note that Paramount Pictures offered John Wayne the part of Harry Callahan in the Dirty Harry movie. It would have been interesting to see how he played the part versus Clint.
John Wayne didn't like the dialog, ole blue eyes was busy. The story originally took place in NYC, but Eastwood who is a San Francisco native decided to do it there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Holy crap you have an AutoMag as well. I remember seeing Sudden Impact in the theater...that gun was epic.

Do you shoot it?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Just watched this 1971 Clint Eastwood police drama and recalled the Colt Forum has its own Inspcalahan though he lives a mite farther North than SFO.
Been a wee bit busy at work with all this world event going on, so I'm just getting a few free moments to hit the forum. You sir, are correct. I'm definitely a mite bit farther north. You couldn't pay me enough to live in the SFO area.

As to the Clint series - absolutely love them! With a bit of precious time off, I think I'll have to watch one or three, before heading back into the fray.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I’m I the only one who was a little disappointed when in Magnum Force Harry admits he loads with a .44 Special with a semi-wadcutter?
I am not a native English speaker, but I don’t think he says it’s a .44 special.

Q: what kind of a load are you using in that 44?
A : it’s a light special. (In) this size gun it gives me better control and less recoil than 357 with wadcutters

It could mean a lighter powder load in a .44 Mag, or a lighter bullet.

In any case it’s still Hollywood, so accuracy on gun trivia is not expected.

Here’s the clip of that scene

https://youtu.be/Gs8AqzN9Ga4

·
Registered
478 Posts
A little info on the Sinatra connection. William Friedkin was going to direct Frank Sinatra in the movie and said they worked on it for 6 months before Sinatra broke his wrist and had to drop out. Friedkin directed the French Connection after that.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Q: what kind of a load are you using in that 44?
A : it’s a light special. (In) this size gun it gives me better control and less recoil than 357 with wadcutters

I think back in the day most of us figured he was talking a light 44 Special load. Which was neat as I actually had a 44 Special :) But wanted a 44 mag.

But I ma sure we all know that Harry never had a Model 29 right? Not a Model 29 in the original Dirty Harry movie. It was a Model 57 as there were no 29s to be had. Blanks must have been custom made. Harry made the 29 very popular but they were already very popular and hard to find.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hmmmm, DH sez "This is a 44 magnum the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off." and been shootin' a 41 empty.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts