Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted in a while because my gun knowledge is just not nearly enough to really contribute about anything. I'm a 4-inch Python guy, and last year I acquired enough of them to have every available finish Colt offered on the Pythons and Python Elites. It's just so happen that each of them was manufactured in a different decade the 4-inch Pythons and Python Elites were available from Colt (except the 50's, of course, because it will have to be a six-incher). My problem is they are all either NIB or LNIB, and I haven't been able to bring myself to shoot any of them.

Earlier today, I finally found my shooter and just have just won it on GB. It's a six-incher and get this.... it's from the 50's....that has been refinished.... (I had had your attention before I said it has been refinished, didn't I? Haha)....at what I think is a fair price. This will be my range gun. I don't intend to abuse this old lady and plan to replace the original stocks with something less valuable before I take her to range. I guess what I like most about her other than the price is the fact that she has been refinished because that frees me from having to ever worry about scratching or thining the finish on the gun, something that will always be on my mind if I decide to shoot any Python with original finish.

Colt Python VERY EARLY Production 357mag 6" Blue : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

I am very happy to finally have a Python I can bring myself to shoot and just want to share it with people who have the same good taste here :)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I was watching that one also.I think it's a 56 or 57.Even though it's refinished it looks good.I like the stocks the more I see the first gens the more I like them.Let us know how it shoots.D*

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CONGRATS! Love the stocks on that bad boy!!
Thanks Tony!Not too many of those stocks are available for grab. So I thought I snatch these ones first. :)

I think you bought it well and if mechanically sound, it will be a fine shooter.
Yes porsche. That was my thinking too. Let's hope timing and lockup are still good.

Good buy, now there are no excuses not to shoot. Enjoy your range time.
This is the least expensive Python I have bought so far. So I can spend a bit on those expensive .357 magnum rounds. No more excuse. Thank you :)

I was watching that one also.I think it's a 56 or 57.Even though it's refinished it looks good.I like the stocks the more I see the first gens the more I like them.Let us know how it shoots.D*
I knew someone else had to be watching it as well. I was just hoping no one wanted it so badly that I had to put on my bid-to-win hat. The seller called right after the bid had ended. He told me the full serial number. According to the Colt's serial number lookup website, it's a 1957. I totally agree with you on the look of it, plus, to me, the pony stamp doesn't look so bad either. I'm very excited about taking this gun to a range. I live in a big city and will have to check which range allow the .357 magnum rounds. But first I'm going to start shopping for the new grips. I will let you know how it shoots after I take it to range. (on a side note, if you ever find a nice early Python package like the one you found for Gary a while ago, I wouldn't mind being notified about it at all, ok? hahaha)

A shooter Python for $1400 and an early one at that. You have a unique Python. Yes put the grips aside. Those are bringing a hefty price by themselves.
Thanks hookedon1911s! I think so too. I do plan to put the grips aside. Thanks for your input. It makes me feel good about my decision to buy :)

Exellent buy! Enjoy. :)
A few months ago there was a beat up blue 4 incher on GB that I saw the minute it was listed for a buy it now price of $725. I was thinking very hard about buying it, but the gun looked so abused and the stocks were cracked. I knew that I would ultimately feel unsafe about shooting it. But I still kept going back and forth about it. Then someone snatched it in less than 15 minutes, making me second guessing my decision not to buy. I guess that one would have been a better deal if I bought it and the mechanics worked well. We'll never know :)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I ust bought a worn 57 for a bit more than that, but it is unfinished. I think you bought very, very well. You would sell the stocks for ~500 or so if desired and have a <1k shooter. Nice snag, let me know how you like the action!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ust bought a worn 57 for a bit more than that, but it is unfinished. I think you bought very, very well. You would sell the stocks for ~500 or so if desired and have a <1k shooter. Nice snag, let me know how you like the action!
Hi chaosrob! Thanks for your comment. I know the 1st gen stocks are hard to find but didn't know they are worth that much. I will probably update about this gun once I have it in my hand. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Congrats on a very nice-looking Python.

My shooter Python is a 4" I bought a few years ago. The Pachmayr Presentations I put on it make it quite comfortable to shoot, and they are not expensive to boot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on a very nice-looking Python.

My shooter Python is a 4" I bought a few years ago. The Pachmayr Presentations I put on it make it quite comfortable to shoot, and they are not expensive to boot.
Thanks Igor, that's what I had in mind initially. But now I'm deciding between that and the factory rubber gribs. Those gold medallions look so nice it's hard not to consider them.

Great find! It's nice to see a seller actually admit that something has been refinished.
Yes JPC709. I couldn't agree more. I spoke to him on the phone. He sounded like a really nice guy.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
It's going to bring you much joy. Something that I can shoot brings me much more joy than looking at something pristine in a box that I am not supposed to touch without gloves. YMMV

1 - 14 of 14 Posts