Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Colt New Frontier in 22 WMR. Wow, what a difference from my Colt Cobra, lol. It feels and looks like I need a gunfight with horses and a saloon or three.

Little wear, case coloring, seems nice if a bit dull(?) and blueing looks good. When I cock the hammer to 2nd position, to load, it is smooth for 5 rounds and then it is a trifle sticky fo the 6th(cleaning?). Full cocking 6x is smoother and cylinder locks up fairly tight(not like my Cobra which is like a bank vault)but it is 49 yrs young.

It feels great in the hand.

Questions: cleaning blueing and case hardening? My FFL said I can fire 22 LR in a mag barrel?

Now to read all I can to give it a good cleaning. I do not think I need to tear it all the way down but want to make sure no gunk is there.

So for now that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Enjoy

Semper Fi
Paul
0914201331.jpg

0914201322b.jpg

0914201323.jpg
0914201324a.jpg
0914201322c.jpg
0914201322a.jpg
0914201338.jpg

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Casehardened colors can and do fade with time and exposure to strong sunlight - yours shows evidence of surface rust, so do 'not' use anything remotely abrasive on it - just soak it in 'BreakFree' and wipe it away.

Firing a .22LR in a .22 Magnum cylinder will split the case - get a proper cylinder - they're available.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Casehardened colors can and do fade with time and exposure to strong sunlight - yours shows evidence of surface rust, so do 'not' use anything remotely abrasive on it - just soak it in 'BreakFree' and wipe it away.

Firing a .22LR in a .22 Magnum cylinder will split the case - get a proper cylinder - they're available.

Congratulations!
Thanks. I had heard that which was why I bought a Frontier Scout '62 so I did not need another cylinder,lol.

Paul

Putting a light coat of Hoppe's oil help?

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
'Kroil' would be better - but any oil will help.

You really want a 'penetrating' type of oil to get underneath the rust - that's why I suggested 'BreakFree', because it's kind of ubiquitous.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RemOil? I will get some Break free. Another question? Serial # says 1971 manufacture but frame under grip has 1975? What gives?

The Rem oil helped but I think the Break free might be best.

I am used to polymer hand guns and the Cobra is stainless. Wife just walked and said " hey that looks like a cowboy gun" lol

·
Registered
334 Posts
You seem to have luck finding single action Colt 22 cal. Break free is good stuff! That's mostly all I use with the exception of grease on semi auto's. Good luck with your Colt.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Little update. With the grips off, I see a 1975 stamped on the grip frame. So, I then gave it the magnet test and the grip frame is not steel?!?!. The rest of the frame is. My soon to arrive Frontier Scout '62 is aluminum alloy so is the grip frame on my New Frontier also alloy? Did Colt do a little mix and match? I still love the gun and still need to do more cleaning and of course the range. Did I say how I really enjoy the 'feel' of this revolver?

Semper Fi

paul

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Yes, the grip frame on the New Frontier and Peacemaker .22's is aluminum with come type of epoxy finish I believe rather than anodizing. I think what your FFL meant was that you can fire .22 LR through a .22 Mag barrel but didn't mean that you could or should fire .22 LR through the .22 WMR cylinder.
Dogface is correct, use a good coat of oil and let it sit at least 24 hours, then rub lightly with a microfiber towel. repeat a few times. If the towel picks up some brown residue, it is working to lift the surface rust. Just don't overdo it or use anything like steel wool on the CCH surfaces.
I'll bet you will be very pleased with the accuracy of your NF .22. Colt's built them right. Here is mine, the .22 WMR cylinder is not shown.
Colt New Frontier .22.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Read my posting about the Colt .22 single action revolvers in the Colt Historical Studies section here:
Lots of information there about the New Frontier .22 revolvers.
Early production Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers did sometimes have numbers stamped on the grip frames under the grips. However, those numbers did not have anything to do with the date of manufacture. A few were stamped with the partial serial number of the gun, but usually they did not correspond to anything I could figure out.
The grip frames of these revolvers were an aluminum alloy but the frames (or receivers), the part with the serial numbers, were steel. The Frontier Scouts (and Buntline Scouts) with Q and F serial numbers had grip frames and receivers made of aluminum. The P and K serial numbered Scouts had grip frames and receivers made of a zinc alloy (Zamak) which was a much heavier metal. Thus, the Colt advertising claim of "Heavy Frame".
- Bruce in Ohio

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Read my posting about the Colt .22 single action revolvers in the Colt Historical Studies section here:
Lots of information there about the New Frontier .22 revolvers.
Early production Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers did sometimes have numbers stamped on the grip frames under the grips. However, those numbers did not have anything to do with the date of manufacture. A few were stamped with the partial serial number of the gun, but usually they did not correspond to anything I could figure out.
The grip frames of these revolvers were an aluminum alloy but the frames (or receivers), the part with the serial numbers, were steel. The Frontier Scouts (and Buntline Scouts) with Q and F serial numbers had grip frames and receivers made of aluminum. The P and K serial numbered Scouts had grip frames and receivers made of a zinc alloy (Zamak) which was a much heavier metal. Thus, the Colt advertising claim of "Heavy Frame".
- Bruce in Ohio
Thanks for clarifying that # under the grip. It was done nice and neat so I thought it had meaning but maybe only to Colt?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts