Colt Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Something I just noticed and see if other forum members agree. Unless my eyes deceive me on the pistol I asked about the company name etc on the slide is spelled COLTS while every other one I've seen the company name is spelled COLT'S (ie no apostrophe in the company name on the first pistol's slide company legend). Serial number looks like 490XX (last two digits covered over).

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I saw that, too. But the primary give away on the slide address for me is the fact that the font is completely wrong, and none of the markings on the left side appear to have been rolled on or stamped. They all look engraved/pantographed. The finish is not original...not even close. The stocks are outright reproductions.

So whether or not this pistol was, at one time, truly a Russian contract GM...I don't know. I can't see the markings on the right side to even opine about the legitimacy of the serial number.

I just know I wouldn't purchase a pistol if I thought many or all the markings were spurious.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What about the rumours about a train full of weapons direct to Russia seized by the Finns, that would explain of the number of COLTs M1911 in mint condition present in Finland? .

Reactions: varifleman

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I picked this up in Helsinki when visiting the MOD a number of years ago. It should help.

5596801A-3353-473C-8362-6A2570905FDE.jpeg
7BCB359E-4A20-4BFA-A1A7-E6CBDBD94676.jpeg

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Sorry but how is the scan relevant to this topic? Literally no mention of the Russian contract pistols, just general info on Colt as a manufacturer and Brownings designs.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
The absence of information is information. They do not mention a 1911 used by Finland.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Here is a link to a specimen which was found in Finland (not SA marked), and lettered by Colt.

The first and most glaring difference is the COLTS vs COLT'S on the left slide address. There are other not so subtle differences, including the font size of the Cyrillic writing, which is too large on the pistol in the OP.

Colt m1911 WW1 era

I think you were wise to pass.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The absence of information is information. They do not mention a 1911 used by Finland.
Good point! But I have seen pics from the Winter or Continuation war of troops carrying 1911s. I will try to track the pics down again. Certainly no usage in large numbers but I do know there are genuine ones with SA marks. Likely "surplus" from 1918 when the pistols were seized from Russian forces and put into use in the later wars when any gun was sorely needed.

Also: I have also heard the rumour (!!!) of the train-car full of guns, including 1911s but definitely just a rumour until confirmed

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is a link to a specimen which was found in Finland (not SA marked), and lettered by Colt.

The first and most glaring difference is the COLTS vs COLT'S on the left slide address. There are other not so subtle differences, including the font size of the Cyrillic writing, which is too large on the pistol in the OP.

Colt m1911 WW1 era

I think you were wise to pass.
The Russian contract GMs are very common in Finland (with and without the cyrillic inscription), like Kongsberg 1914s in Norway. Good luck finding any half-decent Colt 1911s in Finland tho

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts