Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a New Colt 45 SAA model P1870. I'm new to these guns, so please excuse my ignorance. Upon inspecting the gun and practicing loading with snap caps, I noticed with the hammer in the full cocked position, the firing pin slightly "jiggles" in the hammer. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes it is spring loaded and wiggles a little. The first generations were fixed. Not sure when the transition was to spring loaded.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Here are a couple of tips since you are new to single actions. Maybe you know them already. When loading insert one round then skip a chamber and then load 4 more. Pull the hammer all the way back and then let it down carefully. The empty chamber will now be under the hammer and safe to carry. Try it with your snap caps first.

Also to prevent a drag line around the cylinder when unloading it, do not lower the hammer by pulling it back a little to rotate the cylinder to align the notch for the bolt to catch. Always pull the hammer all the way back and then lower the hammer. Doing it this way will allow the bolt to drop in the cylinder notch properly and not before which causes the scratch.

Have fun shooting it, it's going to be hot this weekend.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yes it is spring loaded and wiggles a little. The first generations were fixed. Not sure when the transition was to spring loaded.
The transition was in the late 50's,I can't remember exactly what year but I have 2 1959's in my collection both w/what was then referred to then as a "floating firing pin"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a couple of tips since you are new to single actions. Maybe you know them already. When loading insert one round then skip a chamber and then load 4 more. Pull the hammer all the way back and then let it down carefully. The empty chamber will now be under the hammer and safe to carry. Try it with your snap caps first.

Also to prevent a drag line around the cylinder when unloading it, do not lower the hammer by pulling it back a little to rotate the cylinder to align the notch for the bolt to catch. Always pull the hammer all the way back and then lower the hammer. Doing it this way will allow the bolt to drop in the cylinder notch properly and not before which causes the scratch.

Have fun shooting it, it's going to be hot this weekend.
Thanks for the info, had watched some you tube videos that addressed that. Wonder why the owners manual does not say to always go to fo full cock, before returning the hammer to the safety position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, did you by any chance buy this from Bud's Gun Shop.com? Reason for asking is that i also purchased a P1870 last week from them but was told after two days that it was sold. Real disapointing to say the least...........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you dont mind me asking, did you by any chance buy this from Bud's Gun Shop.com? Reason for asking is that i also purchased a P1870 last week from them but was told after two days that it was sold. Real disapointing to say the least...........
No, bought it from Peacemaker National.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Another tip when dealing with Colt single actions - when removing the cylinder from the frame for cleaning etc, put the hammer on half cock, insert above and below the cylinder a strip of A4 paper cut to the length of the cylinder, this acts as a craddle/sling when removing and replacing the cylinder and avoids any marring/scratches on the cyliner during removal and replacement. Sometimes the cylinder does not drop in easily. Enjoy your aquisition they are fine guns and deserve the best treatment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts