Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new revolver user. I am also a bit dense. I managed to break my firing pin on my 2019 Colt King Cora carry (snub with bobbed hammer). Can anyone please point me to a parts dealer or someone I can buy a new pin from?I did not realize that dry firing a revolver was bad. As I said, stupid mistake on my part.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Matk1775 and welcome to the Forum. I'm not an expert by any means but my recommendation is to contact Colt to arrange sending the revolver to them for repair. I do not believe this is a user serviceable repair. Also, I would not let a local "gunsmith" attempt a repair. Their "fix" could be worse than the initial issue. Keep us posted.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,967 Posts
As above the later Colt's from the Mark III to the new Python have firing pins that are NOT user serviceable.
In fact, they aren't local gunsmith serviceable UNLESS the gunsmith has a special press device and support dies. VERY few will have it.

Attempting to drive a pin out with a punch and hammer will usually do serious damage to the frame.
Don't risk your Colt, do as advised above and contact Colt for free shipping back to the factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can barely change batteries. No way would I attempt to fix it.

As above the later Colt's from the Mark III to the new Python have firing pins that are NOT user serviceable.
In fact, they aren't local gunsmith serviceable UNLESS the gunsmith has a special press device and support dies. VERY few will have it.

Attempting to drive a pin out with a punch and hammer will usually do serious damage to the frame.
Don't risk your Colt, do as advised above and contact Colt for free shipping back to the factory.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,967 Posts
The Mark III through the original King Cobra were known to very rarely have a firing pin that was over-hardened and could break if dry fired.
For that reason it's recommended to use snap caps in these older models.

I would think that if Colt says the new models are dry fire safe that would be the case, so this might just be an anomaly.
However, just to be careful and prevent having to send a revolver in to Colt, I'd recommend using snap caps on ALL new Colt revolvers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.