Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Excellent choice for a first one. I happen to have the stainless version. Sharp-looking, accurate and comfortable as heck to shoot. No reason to ever have any work done on it either. Colt already gave it all the little tweaks. That's the part I like. Great for a beginner.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Great buy and a great shooting gun. I understand they are actually very well built with the new CNC tooling. I do understand that there in a company called Indo-MIM that is off shore and makes a lot of MIM parts for the gun market. I do not know if Colt uses them but i do know Colt uses a lot of MIM parts. That is one reason I went to a Gunsite CCO as the MIM parts like disconnector and sear are replaced per Gunsite's request with tool steel Chip McCormick parts.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The slide release and hammer and so forth on the pistol above are forged, not cast like on the regular Government Model. I'll tell ya, I could sell these things. Yeah, stand there all day rattling off the long list of standard features... Great first 1911 you picked out there, deepstare.

I had a dealer at a show make a big deal out of the extra frame cutout behind the trigger guard that these get. I was aware of it, but never thought of it as a big deal, myself. But, okay. Another selling point!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The slide release and hammer and so forth on the pistol above are forged, not cast like on the regular Government Model. I'll tell ya, I could sell these things. Yeah, stand there all day rattling off the long list of standard features... Great first 1911 you picked out there, deepstare.

I had a dealer at a show make a big deal out of the extra frame cutout behind the trigger guard that these get. I was aware of it, but never thought of it as a big deal, myself. But, okay. Another selling point!
Some folks just have to point out what they either know or don't at gun shows. I'm especially quiet when I go and browse tables as I always enjoy the banter that spews forth if one shows an interest in a particular piece. It's like going to the amusement park but only costs $5 to get in ;)

Nice first Colt GM ya bought there Mr. Deepstare, enjoy it in good health and a belated Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone!

I was intrigued by some comments on some other threads that seemed to indicate I should break it down and clean and lube it before taking it to the range. I'll be honest by saying I've never done that with any of my other handguns before. The XSE slide was coated with oil when I took it out of the bag.

I've read here that a few people said that it was a preservative lube and not a lube lube, which I gotta say kinda made me roll my eyes. Oil is a lubricant last time I checked, unless Colt sending em out the door covered in olive oil I really don't see the need to break it down before first range day.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I've a horrible habit. I NEED to field strip my semi auto's that are new to ME, whether they came straight from the manufacturer or used. I want to check part condition, fit and what if any lubrication was used. I then use my preferred cleaner and lubrication and re-assemble with a final function check prior to taking to the range. I guess I don't want any surprises in a place where I don't have all my firearm "stuff" readily available. Yes, I do have some gunsmith and cleaning items packed in a separate bag in the event something goes amiss but nothing compares to what I have at my disposal at home. Revolvers get a thorough cleaning and function check but I'm not fond of popping well fitted sideplates of the old Colts unless there's an obvious problem associated with those innards. That is a whole different game ;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
My name is Steve, and I'm a Coltaholic... welcome to the club...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.