Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Interesting that they have the Peacemaker front sight(?) and the New Frontier rear sight.

Registered
I sure like my New Frontier .22 and my Peacemaker Buntline .22. Unfortunately I bought them a few decades after they had been discontinued and paid prices that exceeded the inflation of the original retail prices by a very good margin.
I like my Ruger single action .22's too, but the Colt's will outshoot them and there is no comparison for their aesthetics.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Premium Member
I sure like my New Frontier .22 and my Peacemaker Buntline .22. Unfortunately I bought them a few decades after they had been discontinued and paid prices that exceeded the inflation of the original retail prices by a very good margin.
I like my Ruger single action .22's too, but the Colt's will outshoot them and there is no comparison for their aesthetics.

View attachment 751126 View attachment 751127
No matter the price, they are fine example of Hartford manufacturing, a genuine case-colored Colt, and will last a lifetime.

Premium Member
"The Duke" John Wayne special edition New Frontier .22 was produced by Colt in 1983 (see photos above). It had special barrel markings and some nickel plated small parts in addition to the high blade front sight and was shipped with a special plaque and display case. Serial numbers were in the same range as the regular production guns and they had cross-bolt safeties like the rest of the post-1980 GS series revolvers. Don Wilkerson's book "Colt Scouts Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber" (Walsworth Publishing, 1993) discussed these guns and also stated that about 100 to 150 regular production New Frontier .22s were fitted with the barrels with the blade front sight (page 185 in Wilkerson's book). The barrels did not have the special markings of The Duke revolvers. These are fairly rare. Wilkerson estimated that only 100 to 150 such guns were produced.
Wilkerson's book is the only serious reference book dealing with these revolvers. It is still in print and is available from Carol Wilkerson here
If you are reading posts in this section, you should really have a copy of this book.
- Bruce in Ohio

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"The Duke" John Wayne special edition New Frontier .22 was produced by Colt in 1983 (see photos above). It had special barrel markings and some nickel plated small parts in addition to the high blade front sight and was shipped with a special plaque and display case. Serial numbers were in the same range as the regular production guns and they had cross-bolt safeties like the rest of the post-1980 GS series revolvers. Don Wilkerson's book "Colt Scouts Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber" (Walsworth Publishing, 1993) discussed these guns and also stated that about 100 to 150 regular production New Frontier .22s were fitted with the barrels with the blade front sight (page 185 in Wilkerson's book). The barrels did not have the special markings of The Duke revolvers. These are fairly rare. Wilkerson estimated that only 100 to 150 such guns were produced.
Wilkerson's book is the only serious reference book dealing with these revolvers. It is still in print and is available from Carol Wilkerson here
If you are reading posts in this section, you should really have a copy of this book.
- Bruce in Ohio
The regular NF with the blade sight is one I would really enjoy owning.

Premium Member
From elsewhere in the forum: a 1975 NF 6" that was $77 new. $395 inflation adjusted today's price - if you can believe it. With Rugers now retailing for $750, a rather good investment. Even at the $750-$1,000 that Colts are going for today, still not a bad deal, all considered.

Air gun Trigger Material property Gun barrel Font

Premium Member
Here鈥檚 a 鈥渃omplete package鈥 of The Duke commemorative. It fairly rare to get more than the display case, but occasionally some owners kept the faux wood sleeve styrofoam box. Really rare find is the outer cardboard shipper that boxed up the whole deal for safe shipping originally. Colt cardboard .. may find better, but ya can鈥檛 pay more. :)

Premium Member
Here is probably the most unique factory verified Frontier Scout you will ever see. It is one of only six that were factory engraved in 1959. All were slightly different and the story goes that these were commissioned to determine the feasibility of regular production engraved Scouts. However, they found that the aluminum frames did not take engraving well and the project was stopped. This gun is authenticated by a Colt Archive letter. It came to me from a shop in Louisiana in 2011. Another such gun was shown on page 281 of the 1993 Blue Book Publications edition of THE BOOK OF COLT FIREARMS. That gun is now owned by a man in Alaska. The other four were sold by Colt in the 2009 Archive auctions at Greg Martin. Those are owned by a collector in California. These guns were also mentioned by Don Wilkerson on page 70 of his book on the Colt .22 single action revolvers. The engraver of the guns was not mentioned in the Archive letter but it says that they were engraved by an "outside" engraver" so it is possible that the work was done in the A.A. White shop, but that is only a guess.
- -Bruce in Ohio

1 - 19 of 19 Posts