Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the wife a Colt Mustang 380 Carry Lite. and she loves it. Got the extended mags for it as well
At 7 to 10 ft the sights are right on and when you drop back to 30 ft it shoots low 6 to 8 inches. Not a problem but is this normal or should we send it back?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Jerry. I'm not personally familiar with the Mustang, but they appear to be an ideal lady's gun. The 6-8" drop at 30' may just require a bit of compensation when aiming. After all 30' is a tad farther than 7-10'. When I worked for Brinks the company's empirical data showed that most engagements by far happen within 15' anyways, and with little or no opportunity to take aim. May I suggest she try shooting from the hip at 3' out to 21' to get comfy with the gun?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hi Jerry and welcome to the Colt Forum!
Before I sent that pistol back because of accuracy problems, I would try it with several different brands of ammunition. You might just find one that yielded much better results. Also keep in mind that these small pistols are not target guns; they are meant to put a group of bullets into center mass.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
There is a tendency for some to drop their wrists and hit low. You should try two things ,aim at point of aim , not six oclock. ,slightly raise the front sight ,don't bury it in the notch. As stated ,if you are hitting low with 90 grainers ,go to a heavier 95 gr slug. If it is dead on at the shorter range,that will work for most scenarios.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I am 6'4" and 250 lbs and this is a real small gun. The wife is 4' 11" and shoots it just fine and loves it.
she Used to carry a M&P 40 sub compact but it was just to heavy. Now Her Mustang is with Her all the time. I just cannot hit anything with it. Like I said in my opening post that I did not think it was a real problem but I have had shot small 380's and have had this kind of problem. The manual does not give the range when sighting

·
Registered
84 Posts
Two rounds inside 9" at 21 feet in 2 seconds is a good test. A series of double-taps that accomplish this is even better. Inside the magic "7 yards" is where most assaults take place.

36+ years LEO
20 years Firearms Instructor, 14 years Rangemaster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts