Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Officer's Model .38spl out for a ride today to see how she would act in public. In the right hands she would've made anyone proud. I only put 50rds through her as I had other firearms with me.

Started out with an 8" steel target at 10yds. and couldn't miss. I know it's not all that impressive but I have a hard time with iron sights. The farthest I shot was at 25yds and my hits were 50% at best. All my shots were two hand standing up.

The revolver shoots smooth as silk with barely any recoil. The only thing I don't like is the trigger pull. What is it about 10lbs? I still wanted to have fun while testing it so I ended up shooting like it was a single shot. Would a benchrest help?

A bad day shooting is still better than not shooting at all.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I find that some days are way better than others when I go pistol shooting. I'm sure it's just me most of the time. Ignoring basics and stuff like that. Although I also think the type of outdoor lighting can make a big difference. And, of course, plain 'ol practice.

There was in interesting thread here recently about double-action shooting.

I use 25 yds off a rest as my gauge for ultimate capability.

You might want to check your double/single trigger with a pull gauge. I would expect around 3-4 lbs. single and 11-14 lbs. double.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check under the cylinder star many times spent powder or other crud builds up under the star
Gun is in perfect shape and immaculate. It just seems like a long and tight trigger pull. Will take some time getting used to it.

Why use it as a single shot? Were you using just the one chamber?
You're kidding me. Right? My interpretation of "single shot" is manually pulling the trigger back for each shot. It's a shorter and easier pull for me right now.

I'm scoping out an indoor range to be able to get more practice but it will be a while before I would post pictures. I don't think many of you would be impressed with groupings that only a medium pizza could cover.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry if I use wrong terminology. I ordered the book "How to translate English to Colt" from Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet.

Reactions: Collects

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
double acting shooting takes practice and then more practice. but you will be pleased with the results. I shoot my colts at 15 yards and close as 10 yards double action. 25 yards I mostly shoot single action. I think your gun was mostly used single action for 25 yards back in the day of bull's eye shooting. in days gone by I would shoot my python double action at 25 yards using wad cutter bullets. that was one good shooting gun. that's when 38 spl ammo loaded with wad cutters was cheap and you could trade in your brass on more ammo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan on doing a lot of shooting indoors this winter. If nothing else comes out of it I'll have some empty brass for someone to reload.

My revolvers shoot .22LR,22mag and .38spl. I already started saving them. Unfortunately the semi-autos (.45ACP) and AR-15 (.223 + 5.56) spray the casings all over the place. Have to figure out a way to corral them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.