Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Colt Combat S70 .45acp for a couple years and thoroughly enjoy it. Oddly, with all my years of firearms ownership and experience, I've never had a .38 super. I changed that today, after coming across a few hundred round of ammo. Same gun - stainless Combat S70. While finalizing the transaction, I performed the normal function tests. (Colt certified 1911 armorer for double digit number of years) Later the same day, while dry firing it, the hammer locked up and won't drop. Field stripped it and nothing obvious. Because I'm so frustrated with it failing as a brand new in the box Colt, I'm not inclined to "armorer" the problem out. I think I'll be calling them Monday for a return shipping label on their dime. Sigh....
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Font

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Too bad for your situation and sending it back to Colt could be a LONG process. I believe it is a relatively simple fix with an issue between your sear,disconnector,and sear spring. I have seen this before but without the pistol in hand I can’t do much. Pete

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I'd take the magazine catch out and if it fires, then its the set screw in the trigger, and I would not return it for that.

I bought the Gold Cup Trophy .38 Super and the trigger pull was atrocious, so I like you disassembled it. The sear was raw, so I put it in the Ed Brown jig and stoned it, the trigger pull id fine but that actually made the safety lock unserviceable. But I put a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof ambi-safety in it.

I bought a brand new XSE LWT GM and shot it, and then installed a Harrison Design square bottom firing pin stop. When I shot the Colt again the slide would lock open. Needless to say the good folks at 1911.org thought I was delusional, but it turned out there was no bevel on the rear end of the recoil spring plug tunnel, and the recoil spring was jamming against itself.
So I sent it back. I never told Colt about the HD FPS. Anyway they put some form of bevel in there, but it was still not correctly in spec imo. I could have done what they did. The pistol shot fine but you'd think that they would have put the specified bevel in place.

·
Premium Member
5,403 Posts
They’re supposed to do that before they ship it out. 110 year old design and still have QA/QC problems?
Must Agree. Love Colts, but the QC appears to be quite lacking here of lately at Colt Firearms. The list seems to go on and on. Something needs to change IMHO.... For what that's worth. :cool:

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
They’re supposed to do that before they ship it out. 110 year old design and still have QA/QC problems?
I bought a $1500.00 Colt and Colt didn't even prep the sear, a NM sear no less.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Sorry to hear this- really a drag when this happens, I bought a Browning 1911 .22 that was a lemon out of the box dissapointing as hell.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Very disheartening to spend that much on a 1911 from Colt and it has issues. Might not be surprised if it was a 1911 made by someone else but not them. There’s a quote, ‘there’s never enough time to do it right but there’s always time to do it over.’

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Must Agree. Love Colts, but the QC appears to be quite lacking here of lately at Colt Firearms. The list seems to go on and on. Something needs to change IMHO.... For what that's worth. :cool:
Looked at new production Smiths lately? 👎 Don't bother. They've been making handguns under the S&W brand for 169 years now. You'd think they'd have the process figured out by now, wouldn't you? Go visit the Smith forums, listen to people over there whine and rant about their gun's failures...canted barrels on revolvers, sights falling off, magazines dropping out, defects in the finish, blah blah blah quack quack quack. 😮 It's like listening to the same song on the jukebox over and over. z-z-z-z-z. They make a .357 but tell buyers not to run full power loads through it? C'mon.

We can use computer-operated machines in firearms manufacturing, but let's face it; any time humans are involved, someone's gonna miss a step somewhere, sometime. It ain't the end of the world. I'll take a beat up 1940s Colt 1911A1 over an NIB Smith, Browning, or Glock any day of the week.

Well, anyway, that's enuff a that from me I reckon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m starting to wonder if going fully custom is the way to go. Too much potential for issues
with factory firearms. I’ve had my fair share over the years. A couple were outright lemons and had to be replaced. It’s disheartening to experience poor quality control. You would think more effort would be put into making a firearm.Kimber,Marlin,Mannlicher,Taurus,Ruger,
Remington,etc. , have put out firearms I’ve purchased that leave much to be desired. I prefer deluxe firearms, but they have issues as well. I’ll likely go mostly custom from now on.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot about this thread - here's the update I forgot to post a while back. My frustration subsided over a few days and I figured I'd just get to "fixing" my new gun.

Before sending it back, I did a full strip to the last part, couldn't find anything, reassembled and it failed again. Stripped it down fully again and noticed the threads on the set screw in the trigger just didn't look right. I compared it to the screw in my 45 competition and you can just barely see they were different, almost as if cut from a lesser diameter rod where the outside fins of the threads didn't fully exist. What was happening was the screw would appear to move both directions correctly but just a few dry cycles of the slide were enough to vibrate the screw farther in, locking up the trigger. It was just loose in the screw hole but not to the point of vibrating, just easily sliding.

I thought the screw hole was perhaps oversized, so I tried it in other guns. Nope. It's the screw.

Replaced the screw with a new one and all is well it seems. Too bad I couldn't reverse bill them for my time.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It changed. CZ hopefully will cure some ills.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I took the set screws out of the Harrison Design triggers I installed in my Colts.
I do it mainly because with the Harrison trigger the screw is inserted in the back, the trigger face is smooth. This eliminates fitting the overtravel stop screw and makes the firing pin safety positive in the Series 80.
For years the only guns with the overtravel stop screw was the NM guns, so imo they aren't necessary anyway, except maybe in a target pistol.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sorry for you, things like that shoudn't happen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts