Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm outgunned here, but thought I'd offer pics of what I just let myself in for. Proofhouse idenifies the C115xx serial as 1972 but it is a 3rd issue??? Maybe just one of those little documenting discrepencies.

I'm busy noting the differences between this and the SF series. I do have a couple of those including this. I put the SF-VI grips on in place of the Pachmayrs that came on it until I can find some original DS-IIs.

I can handle comments.....Jim

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right, I recognize 3rd issue, but some books say 1973, period. It must be like auto model years
Gun Parts is where I got the SF-VI grips because my SF-VI didn't have originals either. They don't seem to list DS-IIs specifically, just Det Spec and SF-VI. Suspect they don't have any Compac style with the Colt banner ala DS-11. I will check EBay. Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
The Third Model is identified by the heavy, shrouded barrel.
The Third was introduced in 1972-73.

The "SF" series is a TOTALLY different design from the older "D" framed guns, in the same way that the older Trooper, Official Police, and Python are different from the Trooper Mark III, Mark V, and King Cobra.

Check Ebay and Gun Parts for grips.
The "D" frame Colt's often were fitted with Pachmayr Compac grips with Gold Colt medallions.
The last of the older Colt's (Fourth type) came from the factory with these.
These Colt-medallioned, Pachmayr Compac grips are still available.

When the "SF" guns were introduced, Colt had a direct copy of the Pachmayr grip made with Colt markings instead of Pachmayr.

Your new Detective Special would have left the factory with the Colt "D" frame checkered walnut Combat grips.
These are often found on Ebay at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
61 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A1A:
IMG]
I can handle comments.....Jim [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your Colt DS looks just like mine. Mine was manufactured in 1982, and came with walnut, checkered grips. I don't know when the "rubber" ones came out for the DS, but guess it was after 1982.

Best Wishes. JP

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I read it as a quote, "I can handle comments" sounds kind of defensive, doesn't it? Didn't mean it that way. Maybe I should have said "open" to comments. Anyway, grips have been a challenge - never seem to get the originals and Colt sure has had variations. dfariswheel, of course, has it down well for the models in question. And it does make for a second treasure hunt. Starting to look at Diamondbacks. I'm in trouble.

[This message has been edited by A1A (edited 06-22-2005).]

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Lots better.

Nice piece!

Gunsmoke

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes. That is now correct, and looks great too. Use the Goodyears at the range and use the wood for display.

·
Registered
794 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The "D" frame Colt's often were fitted with Pachmayr Compac grips with Gold Colt medallions.<BR>The last of the older Colt's (Fourth type) came from the factory with these.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but remember they also came with the Silver Medallions.

[ QUOTE ]
When the "SF" guns were introduced, Colt had a direct copy of the Pachmayr grip made with Colt markings instead of Pachmayr.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but not all of this vintage had the Colt banner molded into the "thingy."

[ QUOTE ]
Your new Detective Special would have left the factory with the Colt "D" frame checkered walnut Combat grips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really mean to call them Combat? Combat style (with finger grooves) "thingys" were not available as standard issue on the D-Frame checkered wood.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
The over-sized grips Colt designed for the 1972 model Detective Special are a "Combat" style grip.

They aren't the old "Service Type", and they sure aren't a "Target" grip.

So called "Combat" grips do not necessarily have finger grooves.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, not stirring the pot, just some info and an honest question. I have 4th issue with the true Pachmayr Compaqs so labelled and with the screw showing through and silver medallions. I also have SF-VI thingys of the same style with no "manufacturer" label, but the Colt banner and silver medallions with the screw not showing through on the latch side (factory SF-VI issue). I know (believe from all I've seen) that the factory DS-II thingys are the same as that but without the medallions. So, are you saying that some came from the factory with no medallions and no banner but they were indeed Colt OEM? I have seen some like that but was under the impression that those were a Sile aftermarket thingys. Heck, I even have a set of Pachmayr Compaqs so labelled but without a Pachmayr medallion where the screw doesn't show through. Guess eveyone is inconsistent to some degree.

·
Registered
794 Posts
A1A, yes the 4th issue with the true Pachmayr Compaqs so labeled and with the screw showing through and silver medallions is correct. I have one just like it bought brand new in 1993. Meaning original purchaser.

Yes, the SF-VI thingy's of the same style with no "manufacturer" label, but the Colt banner and silver medallions with the screw not showing through on the latch side (factory SF-VI issue) is also correct. I also have one of these purchased brand new in 1995. Again meaning original purchaser.

The DSII is where get a little kludg'y. Again you are correct that the factory DS-II thingys were the same as that but without the medallions. However I have seen DSII's that came with a silver medallion with no banner that were Colt/Pachmayr. I also have one such gun, presumed to be NIB but I was not the original purchaser. This was the style you mentioned you thought were perhaps Sile. I don't know anything about Sile. I do know the ones on my DSII are not Sile.

I have also seen some late DSII's that were sporting the rubber Combat Style (with finger grooves) alleged to be NIB. I can not vouch for this as I was not original purchaser.

I am not saying that some (Pachmayr's) came from the factory with no medallions and no banner but they were indeed Colt OEM. I will say however Colt did send out some guns (late DSII's and early Magnum Carry's) with a thingy that had no medallion and no banner, but was produced by Hogue.

Incidentally I also have a Detective Special just like yours in nickel from 1972. It looks exactly like your photo marked Better? It is a Third Issue.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Mr. Faris, however I take exception to what you said.

From a Colt catalog these thingys are referred to as simply "Checkered Walnut." See photo below. No place in any of my old Colt catalogs do they refer to this style of thingy as Combat style.

I agree, I would not call them Service or Target. But I also would not call them Combat style unless you can produce some documentation that defines them as such.

Regarding Combat Style having finger grooves, I submit the photo below from the 1997 Colt catalog clearly showing finger grooves and documented as Rubber, Combat Style.

You are of course free to call them what ever you like. I will believe what you say if you can show proof.

To add to the fun: notice how 1 photo uses the term Stocks and the other Grips! But I don’t want to go there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts