Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What should the grip screw finish be on a first gen. (1928) SAA - nickel or fire blue or....? The gun is blue/cch with fire blued frame screws and the grips (stocks) are standard black rubber.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Are the frame screws you mention true bright fire blue like was used on very early guns up until about 1914 I think it was? Or are they are dark, deep, niter blue black color? Sorry can't help on the grip screw.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am not sure I can tell the difference between fire blued and the blue black finished screws. I just thought they looked like the fire blued. Anyone have pictures to show the comparison?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I may be corrected....but I believe all 1st generation grip screws were nickel plated.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I was wrong! Blue on blue, nickel on nickel:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may be corrected....but I believe all 1st generation grip screws were nickel plated.
Thanks for the input, swamprat. I was wondering if that might be a possibility. Someone (maybe on the Lounge) posted a picture of a NIB mint 1920s SAA and it had a nickel grip screw - aah-haa! So, maybe so.

CJS57 - I have a very nice all original New Service (1904) that also has a fired blue grip screw so that got me thinking about a very nice SAA (1920s) that I have. Which is correct or maybe both are?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
:bang_wall: My original response was because I have seen blued 1st gen SAA's with nickel grip screws. :confused: However they may have come with either, here is a nickel gun with a blued screw:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
:p Blued guns with nickel screws:
This is a "new" 1st gen gun (sn 353376) sold at auction recently that HAS NOT been restored!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for information swamprat. And thanks to you and CJS57 for the great pictures. Guess it can go either way.
By the way, I have a nice 4 3/4" SAA like the one you pictured with the badge that letters to Wolf and Klar in Fort Worth. I've heard alot of Texas Rangers' guns went through them. Ever heard anything like that?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Thanks for information swamprat. And thanks to you and CJS57 for the great pictures. Guess it can go either way.
By the way, I have a nice 4 3/4" SAA like the one you pictured with the badge that letters to Wolf and Klar in Fort Worth. I've heard alot of Texas Rangers' guns went through them. Ever heard anything like that?
Yep, I have heard that also.

The gun pictured with the badge was a San Antonio Police Dept gun, they bought 50 of them in 1927 and traded them in to Alamo Sporting Goods in the late 40's for more modern double action revolvers:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, I have heard that also.

The gun pictured with the badge was a San Antonio Police Dept gun, they bought 50 of them in 1927 and traded them in to Alamo Sporting Goods in the late 40's for more modern double action revolvers:

Great provenance - great, great, great!
Do you or anyone in Colt Forum land know if there is a Texas Ranger resource to inquire about past ownership of guns used in the TR service?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts