Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I have a M1873 SAA with the 71/2 inch barrel, .45cal, made in 1887 that I am considering shooting. I’m assuming only
black powder loads should be used, but are they readily available and what powder loads would be recommended?
The gun is in good condition, but I would still have my gunsmith check it out before shooting it. Thank you!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct, only shoot black powder loads. They used to be available from 2-3 sources, you'll have to check. During this era, most ammo has been scarce. All BP loads are the same - full. Just pick a bullet weight and see how it does. If it shoots low, buy another with a heavier bullet. Yes, heavier.
Thank you! Appreciate your help. Jonl51

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I don't have experience with BP loads, so take this with a grain of salt. I've never shot these, but got them just in case I find an early 1st Gen. :)

I bought my BP loads (38-40 and 45 Colt) from Buffalo Arms. They're not cheap, but I don't know what the going rate is, if there is one. They're out of 45 Colt right now, but sign up for their back in stock notification and they'll email you when it is available. I did, and it worked like a charm.

Reactions: ColtsDad

·
Banned
119 Posts
I have 3 Colt SA's in .45 Colt, and shoot the heck out of them. One is my granddads Colt he bought in 1918. IN that gun I had to replace the hand. Remember a Colt is not a Ruger. Any factory load marked .45 Colt will work in your gun just fine. All my reloads are up to but NOT over factory specs. No reason your Colt wont last long enough to be handed down to your grandkids. And Like someone mentioned above..Its not a magnum gun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have experience with BP loads, so take this with a grain of salt. I've never shot these, but got them just in case I find an early 1st Gen. :)

I bought my BP loads (38-40 and 45 Colt) from Buffalo Arms. They're not cheap, but I don't know what the going rate is, if there is one. They're out of 45 Colt right now, but sign up for their back in stock notification and they'll email you when it is available. I did, and it worked like a charm.

Thank you Hoot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts