Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a few hours of work here and over all I'm happy with the results. I plan on shooting with the cowboys this year if I can find the time to complete the belt. was hoping some of the other members who do leather work could pass along their views. one thing I was specifically wondering about is should I have stitched the top of the holster? there are two layers of heavy leather bonded together, I have beveled the inner edge to allow easy re-holstering but I wonder if it will stand up to use and abuse?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Red, your first attempt is, very nice. I believe the top of the holster should be stitched and my favorite way to accomplish this is with the "rollover" method used by El Paso Saddelry and some few others. In my view it is very practical and looks classy and professional. No, I'm not a "maker" but I have been know to support a few over the years!!! Nick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
started into leather craft a couple of years ago, to make a long story short, about 15 years ago a made a knife from some 440C that a friend supplied to me, always wanted a sheaf for it, so bought a basic leather kit, everyone got leather coasters that year for Christmas, and I learned the basics. leather sheaf turned out nice, then wallets, a clutch purse, rifle strap, etc. my grandfather did leather craft, so maybe it is in the blood.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
Hey there Red Bead, Wlcome to the Colt Forum. The greatest place on the planet for Colt information and fun.

After looking at the leather work in your photo, if thet's your first attempt at a holster then you don't have too far to go. That's an excellent job. Well done, and I'd be happy to help you anytime.

Bud

Just joined the forum, here are a couple of pictures of my first holster. Picked up a few hints from Matchlock, doubled up on the leather to make a stiffer rig. Still lots to learn, comments are welcome.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
That is really good. The top edge at the cylinder has a very nice curve to it. The loop and back skirt balance perfectly with the holster. The holster itself looks like a separate piece from the back. How is it attached?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is really good. The top edge at the cylinder has a very nice curve to it. The loop and back skirt balance perfectly with the holster. The holster itself looks like a separate piece from the back. How is it attached?
wish I could take full credit for the design but I can't. the design was taken from a tandy kit that I customized by doubling the leather for a stiffer holster. there are three pieces that make up the holster. the holster slips through the loop and is secured to the back by two holes at the bottom of the holster. these holes do double duty to let you tie the holster around your leg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts