Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like it.
Nice clean trigger on both single and double action.
Fit and finish are very good.
The crown had some dings but did not affect accuracy that I could tell, and seemed to clean up after shooting.
Cases did not all come out when ejected at first but improved considerably as the shooting session progressed.
Very pleasant to shoot, even with full house loads, .38 spl. 158s were as if shooting .22s.
Groups became as good as I can do shooting on my two hind feet. It really liked the Hornaday 135 grain critical duty.
Cleanup was very easy using the Luca's oil. All the fouling came off the gun and the bore showed no sign of fouling even after over a 100 rounds of both jacketed and lead bullets.
Not a torture test by any measure but as I said I like it.

P.S. Careful when removing the grips as there are three pins ( two stainless and one blued) that will play hide and seek with you.

Take care, Duane

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I saw my good friend yesterday who is a Smith guy . He surprisingly brought it up , and was giving good thoughts .
i haven’t seen him in like a year .
i told him if he texts me in the morning , we would go to club and shoot it .

i will be purchasing a 4.25 when funds available within next year .
That will be in blue or black and definitely shot monthly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like it.
Nice clean trigger on both single and double action.
Fit and finish are very good.
The crown had some dings but did not affect accuracy that I could tell, and seemed to clean up after shooting.
Cases did not all come out when ejected at first but improved considerably as the shooting session progressed.
Very pleasant to shoot, even with full house loads, .38 spl. 158s were as if shooting .22s.
Groups became as good as I can do shooting on my two hind feet. It really liked the Hornaday 135 grain critical duty.
Cleanup was very easy using the Luca's oil. All the fouling came off the gun and the bore showed no sign of fouling even after over a 100 rounds of both jacketed and lead bullets.
Not a torture test by any measure but as I said I like it.

P.S. Careful when removing the grips as there are three pins ( two stainless and one blued) that will play hide and seek with you.

Take care, Duane
Did you happen to throw a trigger pull gauge on the single action pull?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have to ask the obvious question. Was this the new Python or an old used Python? There have been some negative experiences with the new Python. If it is the new Python I am glad you seem to have gotten a good one. It sounds as if you got snake bit so welcome to the club.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
New Python. I've owned a few over the years but always seem to be traded or given away as the S.A.A. is my gun of choice.

This one will stay and a 4 inch model will be added. Take care, Duane[/QUOTE

I am a carbon copy of this.. I had owned 4 different Pythons back it the day. Traded them all off for 3 SAA's and one 1873 Winchester .25/.20. Still have all the SAA's but the Winchester is long gone (What a mistake) by the way.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trigger pull gauge showed up today.

Single action average for five times was 4 pounds 14 ounces.

Double action average for five times was 7 pounds 13 ounces.

One could make a case for a lighter S.A. pull but no complaints on the D.A. from me.

Take care, Duane

·
Registered
50 Posts
Trigger pull gauge showed up today.

Single action average for five times was 4 pounds 14 ounces.

Double action average for five times was 7 pounds 13 ounces.

One could make a case for a lighter S.A. pull but no complaints on the D.A. from me.

Take care, Duane
Thanks for the data. Yes that DA pull sounds great but I'd like to see the SA pull in the 2.75 to 3.25 range. Definitely seems pretty high and wondering what could be done about that.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
NOW you tell me about those grip pins. :)

I was able to find them.

Glad to see someone else happy with theirs too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts