Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm excited. Got a LE6920 Magpul. I assumed I'd find a bunch of cosmoline or whatever all over it, but it appears to be coated in a pretty light oil. Do I need to strip it all down, clean it, and re-lube it before I shoot, or can i go shoot and clean it when I'm done?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The light oil from the factory you see are actually preservative lube, they're not lubrication at all.

Clean it very well first with gun solvent cleaners, also clean your bore and chamber with bore cleaner, then lube with your favorite gun lube and enjoy your day at the range.

And Congrats on your new LE6920, I have two of them myself which I use SLiP 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lube) for several years now and I'm very satisfied with its performance.

Here's a link on how to properly lube your AR.

AR15 LUBE POINTS - AR15.COM

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were kids riding 4-wheelers where I planned to shoot so since i had a few hours to kill I took everything apart, soaked it in mineral spirits, scrubbed it all with a brass brush, oiled it up and put it all back together. A good exercise to familiarize myself with my new gun. Then I went out and shot 150 rounds with the intent of zero'ing in the iron sights. I never adjusted them once - I could hit a beer can 50% of the time from 50 yards, and I'm not a very good shot. What a joy to shoot. The iron sights that come with the gun are so easy to use that I can only imagine a red dot is useful in the case that SHTF and you need to acquire targets fast. I love this gun, can't believe it took me so long to get one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ARs are addictive. My one turned into three in pretty short order. Started with a post ban 16" Bushmaster A2 during the Clinton years, then a DPMS 24" stainless bull barreled varminter, then an RRA 16" A4 flattop. Hard to get by with just one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.