Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terry. Glad that you were finally able to add a New Service to your collection. I have always said that a Colt collection is not complete without at least one New Service or Shooting Master.
Cam, I do have a Shooting Master in 38 special. I never liked the looks of the very old New Services with that "L-shaped" cylinder latch, plus, I have not seen many New Service revolvers for sale in my area.
This one loaded with six rounds of 45 Colt ammo is a very formidable weapon!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cam, If you get back to this post, check out the serrations along the sight channel on my NS. I don't think this is standard, is it? I have a friend who has a very late 1st gen SAA with this feature.

DSCN3286.jpg

·
Administrator
7,293 Posts
Pretty sure it's standard on the later NS Commercial guns .

Reactions: saintclair

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
All of the M-1909 Colt New Service guns were actually .45 Colt. But the New Service in .45 Colt was the more-or-less standard revolver of state troopers in the between the wars years.

If I remember correctly there's a line in the picture show "Grapes of Wrath" where a trooper shoots a hobo and comments on the power of the .45.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
saintclair,

You did well with the New Service. One thing is I have not seen many of them nickel plated and it sure looks good on the New Service. Tell "swamprat" not to make the stocks look too good as they may look like new replacements, LOL!

I have two (2) New Service revolvers, a 1915 and a 1916 with both in .45 Colt caliber. They are fantastic shooting revolvers.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts