Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the Colt Positive in 32 cal today with a serial number 171300. Made in 1919 I am assuming.

2 questions I have:

1. The last 2 digits in serial number "00" look like a lighter stamp. What causes this?
2. Also there is a "10" stamped under the serial on the frame. Never seen this.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,680 Posts
Stamps under the serial number are a factory inspectors stamp, either the final inspector or the assembler, there's some uncertainty on which.
Usually that's one letter or number, but two numbers is not unheard of.

The light stamp of the serial number is something that can happen in a production serial number stamping operation when the first part of the serial is set up in a stamping device and the last two numbers are set up to allow a fast change. This allows making a quick sequence change of a numbers of up to 99 guns before the rest has to be changed.
This is why you often see serial numbers on many brands in which part of a serial is stamped differently or out of line slightly.

Hope I explained this clearly.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Over the years the Colt factory assemblers were assigned letters or numbers identifying them. Clawson's book on the Model 1911 shows the assembler's codes going as high as 99, while Meadows shows it going to three digits. I have an early Model 1911A1 with assembler code 73.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts