Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have wanted a Python for a while. I just love the look and feel of a revolver and I wanted the best. I owned a S&W 686 Competitor and just could not get to group like I expected (shooter error most likely).
So, I went to Dallas on my day off in search of a Python. Yet, I soon found myself in Scheels (awesome sporting goods store in N. Dallas) not looking at a Colt but about to buy a KORTH .44 mag.
It was super expensive and thankfully my cooler head prevailed (after several conversations w/ my wife) :)
I remembered, "I came up here looking for a Colt Python"... I told myself "stop getting distracted."
Honestly, I thought I would not find one at least not one I would want and afford. Yet, when I stopped in Cabela's on my way home I saw a beautiful Python in the Gun Library... that's the nice gun room, if you have not been there.
I saw the price of ... $3500 and decided to walk away.
I mean, I am no expert. What if I make a huge error.
As I drove away I could not stop thinking, "that was not that bad of a price compared to what I have seen." So, I turned around, went back and started dealing with the Gun Library... gun expert.
Eventually, after some wheeling, dealing and nice conversation we came to a deal and I came home with a stainless 1983 Colt Python!
I have not even shot it yet. I came on here to make sure I educated myself on some details and to make myself feel better about trusting Cabelas.
Glad to be here. Some quick questions.

Do you think its worth it to get the Archive Letter? (just found out about that today)
Do you think it could be the E-Nickel finish. (it has the "s" in both places, so probably not) I just learned that was a thing today... ha ha!
Should I change the grips?
Should I try and get a new more visible front sight? Or does this one work just fine for accuracy. I am obsessed with accuracy. I love shooting same hole with my . 300 Win Mag. I know to lower my expectations for a revolver.
And... like everyone else, where to get ammo? :) Just kidding. I will figure it out.

Thanks for all the info I have collected already today! This forum is great. Be easy on my ignorance. Oh, and ignore the knife... I collect knives as my first passion. Will cross post this pic on my Instagram knife page.

Todd

·
Registered
609 Posts
Todd,

Lets start with congrats.

If you search some of my post you will see that you are holding an example of my first python. When I was young my grandfather took me to buy my first gun and what you have is an example of what I chose. My collection has grown over the years but that one will always mean the most to me.

The asking price of $3500 is not bad considering you were at a retail location. Even on this forum I do not think you would be able to buy that for less than $3000. So considering you said you were able to haggle a little, then I think you did fine. I have actually come across some really surprising deals at Cabela's a few times, including a python or two, so they are a good resource if you hit the right time.

The archive letter is neat if you want to know some more info of the gun. If this was an older piece or if it had some "significate" value change, I would consider the letter. However, I don't think it is necessary for this gun. I would not get one thinking it would greatly improve the price of this gun and only consider it if you like the history for yourself.

No it is not E nickel, you have a satin stainless. If it is a 1983 model then it is an early example of the SS. Most think that 1983 is the first year, but actually the SS was released late in 1982. The early SS are "K" serial numbers, (meaning they start with K). They brought a little more money when the python craze hit, but I am not sure people care much anymore.

The grips are accurate for the time. The early SS had the wood grips on them before they moved to the rubber. I like the look of the wood, but we are talking preference here. You can always get some grips to shoot with but I would not get rid of the woods that are on it now. At the highs of python sales those grips would bring $350 or more. Now hey seem to be $200-$250, so treat them with care either way.

If your are going to change the front sight, sale this gun and get you a new python. I would do nothing to mod this gun and I think you will see it should shot fine. There are a ton of videos by people better shots than I am that will tell you how good the python and even more then new python are at target shooting. Take it to the range as it sits and decide if its a keeper. I would not mod the gun though.

I normally do not post a lot here because there are so many more knowledgeable people. But you are holding the 1 gun in the world I know just about all there is to know about. I will always own my first python even if it sleeps with me in the street. Currently I own 3 of the K pythons and even though I have several other pythons and have owned even more over the years, there is something about the SS that I love the most.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Congratulations on your new Python.

An untouched, early stainless Python with wood stocks is a prize. (Here in the center of the Colt Universe, we pendants use the term "stocks" to refer to the coverings of the butt frame. Bicycles have "grips, Colts have "stocks." :))

I would letter the gun. You spent the money to buy a first pattern Python because you associate the first pattern Pythons with mystique of the Python. A letter will affirm that mystique. Who knows, you may learn something unexpected about your Python.

You paid a premium for an original, unaltered Python. If you modify it, you will diminish the collector value of the gun. It is you gun so you may do as you please with it, but it will serve your purposes as is. If you want to modify a Python, start looking for a "shooter" grade where changing things like the sights will not reduce the value as much.

You do know that there are other barrel lengths and finishes on first pattern Pythons, don't you? Just think of a complete set .... (It's a disease that afflicts many here. There is no cure, and the symptoms require the constant treatment of new purchases.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Todd,

Lets start with congrats.

If you search some of my post you will see that you are holding an example of my first python. When I was young my grandfather took me to buy my first gun and what you have is an example of what I chose. My collection has grown over the years but that one will always mean the most to me.

The asking price of $3500 is not bad considering you were at a retail location. Even on this forum I do not think you would be able to buy that for less than $3000. So considering you said you were able to haggle a little, then I think you did fine. I have actually come across some really surprising deals at Cabela's a few times, including a python or two, so they are a good resource if you hit the right time.

The archive letter is neat if you want to know some more info of the gun. If this was an older piece or if it had some "significate" value change, I would consider the letter. However, I don't think it is necessary for this gun. I would not get one thinking it would greatly improve the price of this gun and only consider it if you like the history for yourself.

No it is not E nickel, you have a satin stainless. If it is a 1983 model then it is an early example of the SS. Most think that 1983 is the first year, but actually the SS was released late in 1982. The early SS are "K" serial numbers, (meaning they start with K). They brought a little more money when the python craze hit, but I am not sure people care much anymore.

The grips are accurate for the time. The early SS had the wood grips on them before they moved to the rubber. I like the look of the wood, but we are talking preference here. You can always get some grips to shoot with but I would not get rid of the woods that are on it now. At the highs of python sales those grips would bring $350 or more. Now hey seem to be $200-$250, so treat them with care either way.

If your are going to change the front sight, sale this gun and get you a new python. I would do nothing to mod this gun and I think you will see it should shot fine. There are a ton of videos by people better shots than I am that will tell you how good the python and even more then new python are at target shooting. Take it to the range as it sits and decide if its a keeper. I would not mod the gun though.

I normally do not post a lot here because there are so many more knowledgeable people. But you are holding the 1 gun in the world I know just about all there is to know about. I will always own my first python even if it sleeps with me in the street. Currently I own 3 of the K pythons and even though I have several other pythons and have owned even more over the years, there is something about the SS that I love the most.
Awesome! Thank you so much. It is a "K" serial number and I have decided to not change it at all. This is a great place so far. Honored to have this fine weapon. I was looking for one with the wood/stainless look and its truly perfect for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the Forum! Congratulations on your new Python.

An untouched, early stainless Python with wood stocks is a prize. (Here in the center of the Colt Universe, we pendants use the term "stocks" to refer to the coverings of the butt frame. Bicycles have "grips, Colts have "stocks." :))

I would letter the gun. You spent the money to buy a first pattern Python because you associate the first pattern Pythons with mystique of the Python. A letter will affirm that mystique. Who knows, you may learn something unexpected about your Python.

You paid a premium for an original, unaltered Python. If you modify it, you will diminish the collector value of the gun. It is you gun so you may do as you please with it, but it will serve your purposes as is. If you want to modify a Python, start looking for a "shooter" grade where changing things like the sights will not reduce the value as much.

You do know that there are other barrel lengths and finishes on first pattern Pythons, don't you? Just think of a complete set .... (It's a disease that afflicts many here. There is no cure, and the symptoms require the constant treatment of new purchases.)
Thank you for the reply and the terminology. I remember in the military that the right term was necessary. I love the look of these wood stocks. I might go ahead and get the letter. I also have decided against altering the weapon. Thanks for the advice. I am sure I will be getting more.
What do you think about the Anaconda? I love a .44 and I have a .44 lever action.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thank you for the reply and the terminology. I remember in the military that the right term was necessary. I love the look of these wood stocks. I might go ahead and get the letter. I also have decided against altering the weapon. Thanks for the advice. I am sure I will be getting more.
What do you think about the Anaconda? I love a .44 and I have a .44 lever action.
Congrats on the Python. Like others have mentioned, it’s difficult to stay at one and impossible to own only one Colt. I love my Pythons as well my Anaconda (44 Mag not Colt)...

This one was ported, drilled and tapped from factory. So, it’s a matter of budget and willpower that will drive how many you end up owning... ;)

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Welcome and you picked a great revolver. I doubt if an archives letter will add any value other than tell you where it was first sent. It's a standard finish stainless steel...if it was the Ultimate Stainless an archives would be in order to prove it was a factory finish and not done after the fact.

I wouldn't change a thing on the Python...other than stocks if that makes it feel better in your hand and save the originals.

Reactions: bladetodd

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
You are on the right track, and you have come to the Oracle of Colt information.
All the suggestions above are right.You are off to a great start.
I am particularly fond of revolvers, and I shoot 'em better than most semiautos.
Now, with that bein' said, if you haven't shot a decent 1911 type pistol, you really need to.
Grab up all the Anacondas, Diamondbacks, OPs, DS, PPSs Commandos, Pocket positives, and all the rest, but don't overlook a chance at a 1911, or a 1911A1. They sorta round out the whole Colt scheme, and they really 'speak' well for themselves.
And then, of course there are many old pistols and revolvers to choose from. There are quite a few modern firearms in my pile, but there are more old beat up shooters than nice new ones. You'll see. If you want to accumulate some Colts, this place is great guidance.
Post when you snag that Anaconda! (Or whenever the mood strikes you, for that matter....)
Colt Forum Forever!
HooRah!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on the Python. Like others have mentioned, it’s difficult to stay at one and impossible to own only one Colt. I love my Pythons as well my Anaconda (44 Mag not Colt)...

View attachment 722373

This one was ported, drilled and tapped from factory. So, it’s a matter of budget and willpower that will drive how many you end up owning... ;)
I totally am already looking at the Anaconda. Whats wrong with me. I love a good .44 Mag. haha. I will have to wait and recover from this big purchase, but maybe next year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome and you picked a great revolver. I doubt if an archives letter will add any value other than tell you where it was first sent. It's a standard finish stainless steel...if it was the Ultimate Stainless an archives would be in order to prove it was a factory finish and not done after the fact.

I wouldn't change a thing on the Python...other than stocks if that makes it feel better in your hand and save the originals.
Thank you... I agree. I will leaver her like she is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are on the right track, and you have come to the Oracle of Colt information.
All the suggestions above are right.You are off to a great start.
I am particularly fond of revolvers, and I shoot 'em better than most semiautos.
Now, with that bein' said, if you haven't shot a decent 1911 type pistol, you really need to.
Grab up all the Anacondas, Diamondbacks, OPs, DS, PPSs Commandos, Pocket positives, and all the rest, but don't overlook a chance at a 1911, or a 1911A1. They sorta round out the whole Colt scheme, and they really 'speak' well for themselves.
And then, of course there are many old pistols and revolvers to choose from. There are quite a few modern firearms in my pile, but there are more old beat up shooters than nice new ones. You'll see. If you want to accumulate some Colts, this place is great guidance.
Post when you snag that Anaconda! (Or whenever the mood strikes you, for that matter....)
Colt Forum Forever!
HooRah!
I do love a good 1911. I have never snagged a colt, but its on the list. Only Kimber so far. I am a far better shot with my 1911 than a revolver. If ammo every become available I will practice more w/ my Python. Thank you. This place is amazing.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Thank you! And, I love the blades. especially the last one.
Thanks Todd...

The "last one" is a gift from my daughter...and the handle is made of Olive & Rose Woods pieces fitted together like a puzzle...with the front quillon and guard made of brass...and is considered a full tang Bowie design by it's creator. She is cased and on display in the man cave.

Of the two "tracker" models shown above, the larger is also on display, but the smaller does see use and is carried in a horizontal belt sheath for use in bush craft.

{ The pouch carries a whetstone for field expedient touch-ups. }

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I do love a good 1911. I have never snagged a colt, but its on the list. Only Kimber so far. I am a far better shot with my 1911 than a revolver. If ammo every become available I will practice more w/ my Python. Thank you. This place is amazing.
If you have Kimber that you like, I won't twist your arm into a makin' you feel like you just have to get a Colt. My point was more in the fact that the .45 acp is helluva round. My main shooter .45 is a Springfield that I tricked up myself, but there is a GCNM in the pile as well.

As for ammo....well....get a reloading book, read it, and then see if a little reloading setup might suit you. Generally, you won't be short on ammo if you load your own, especially when the great unwashed horde is scramblin' for what ever ammo they can get. You can recover your cost of equipment within a short period of time, if you load up & shoot 10 or 20 boxes. The cost is a significant improvement over factory, and you can customize your loads to work best in your guns. Guys will tell you that they don't actually save any money reloading, but they shoot up twice as much ammo. There are some very good threads on here dealing with reloading ammo. So..... I'll twist your arm about that, instead of harpin' about a Colt 1911.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Welcome aboard Todd, Nice entrance.
I don't think you over paid that's one beautiful colt you got there, It doesn't get any cleaner. I bought the same revolver in blue finish two years ago to add to my. Paid $3200 for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts