Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Colt Forum SAA folks!

I've been lurking here for a while soaking up knowledge, figured I'd use my first post to say thanks for all the info, and thanks to LeveractionBill for a positive 'smithing experience.

I recently purchased the 1981 vintage 7.5" .44 Special (seen in the photos that hopefully appear below) at online auction, in very lightly used condition. Upon receipt I noted the firing pin retainer was improperly staked and standing proud of the hammer flats on both sides, the action didn't feel crisp, and the trigger was too heavy for my liking. Despite this the gun holds the black on an NRA 50 ft. slow fire target offhand with Black Hills ammo, and shoots to point of aim. I figured it was worth correcting the issues.

I reached out to Bill at Spring Creek Armory and he agreed to take a look.

UPS was miserable, highway robbery on the way out and mislabeled the box on the way back (Bill got the address right on the label, UPS entered it one digit off, luckily we caught the driver at the neighbor's house) yet still the wheel gun made it to Wyoming and back again in one piece.

Bill slicked up the action, massaged the trigger, re-cut the forcing cone, corrected the firing pin staking job, regulated the action screws, and cleaned up the previous owner's Loc-Tite and epoxy out of the action and frame screw holes... I guess used guns are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

Communication was clear and prompt, the work was completed in days and shipped back quickly, the price was very reasonable, and I'm very pleased.

I know that everyone likes pictures:

IMG_8460.jpg

IMG_8461.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

IMG_8463.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
Wait until range time now! And those timed screws look absolutely great.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I owe any knowledge I have of the SAA to Bill. Pete

Reactions: LeverActionBill
1 - 9 of 9 Posts