Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - Completely new to collecting these. Just got this one. Beautiful ivory grips, unfired and appears unturned. Came in presentation case. What else is there to know (gimme the good and the bad). Should I shoot it?

Thanks all - RP

·
Registered
50 Posts
It depends on whether you will keep it as part of a collection which you will eventually sell or you enjoy shooting a real Colt. I have several in different calibers and enjoy shooting them very much.
What's your goal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply....Don't really shoot pistols that often. I took this as part of a rifle collection becasue I thought it was really nice. It seems that there are a lot of unfired (new) Colt SAA out there - from what I read on the boards. Don't know how unique this one is that I should consider not firing it. Could be fun. That said, I could probably sell this one and buy a cheeper used one to play with. This likely has more value to a true Colt SAA collector. How common are Ivory grips? Also - I can't seem to find a picture of the medalions that are on my pistol anywhere on the boards. Are they unique? I have the factory box for it as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
RP, If I am reading the serial # correctly [85xxxSA], your gun would be an early third generation SSA from 1977. The medallion is the coat of arms from Armsmear, the Samual Colt estate. A factory letter would verify if the gun left the factory in the present configuration and might help you to decide to keep or sell, to shoot or not. In any case , it's a fine looking gun.

·
Registered
933 Posts
It is a beauty and doesn't even have a turn line on the cylinder that I see. It is more of a collectible than shooter. Sell it to a collector who will keep it in pristine condition and appreciate it for years and years. I really don't think a factory letter for $100 will add much to that new of a gun. Let me know if interested in selling.

[This message has been edited by Pointman (edited 05-16-2005).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Deep Six sounds like a good idea - how do I go about getting a factory letter? Also - if it didn't originally leave factory with these grips and went back for after-market treatment, what would that mean to value? What would the Armsmear medialon mean in either case. Thanks again - this is very helpful.

RP

·
Registered
154 Posts
RP, Collectors will usually pay a premium for 'factory' options over aftermarket. Funny thing is, Colt farms a SSA to a business such as Nutmeg Sports to have ivory grips installed and they are 'factory'. You send the same brand new SSA to Nutmeg for ivories and it's aftermarket. Colt collectors are not always rational,I know, I have the affliction. For your information, information on factory letters is at, www.coltsmfg.com .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you mention the after-market issue. A very close friend of mine - her dad - made custom grips for Colt for years (as one of these out-sourced craftsman you mentioned) and was very well regarded for his work, so I hear. Doesn't do it any more (NJ laws are hell and he's an older gent now and out of touch). He did say the gun is pristine and grips exceptional. He almost verbatum said what Deep six did about the relevance of aftermarket versus factory to some collectors (also said most outsourced work for a period of time was better quality). He insisted I do some research on the use of that particular medallion - said he doesn't recall any like that but knows of the Armsmear coat of arms reference. I would be interested in selling it if it has value to a collector (doesn't in that sense to me) but of course want to know what I have first. Would Colt be the place to start for info like that or is there another source that won't cost me $100. Thanks again for picking up this thread - especially with a Newbie...RP

·
Registered
946 Posts
The Armsmear medallion was the original medallion used by the Colt Custom Shop. I don't know how long that to have been the case but I believe for at least the first three. Thereafter, they used the then-standard Colt medallion. Thus, I would conclude this gun to have been ordered through the Custom Shop during that time. Only a factory letter would tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts