Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not new to Colts or this forum but after 35 years of firearm buying this my FIRST SAA (I do own a Bisley not sue if it counts)anyway, this was at my local shop on consignment and I pulled the trigger on it literally and figuratively . Circ 1907 in 44-40 looks all original but I am not real familiar with this model . So i am asking you knowledgeable collectors what to look for . Thanks in advance. IMG_0656.jpg IMG_0653.jpg IMG_0654.jpg IMG_0655.jpg IMG_0652.jpg

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Nice
Years ago I had a 1st Generation SAA .38 Special in my hand that I could have and maybe should have bought. The "Rampant Colt" in the circle reminded me of that one.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Looks like a righteous gun, decent shape and not beat to pieces. It's in much better shape than my 1906 FSS.
How is the action?

·
Premium Member
19,460 Posts
I really like the looks of that SAA!! I feel certain it has not been 'messed' with. You have a winner!!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Very nice, how's the inside of the barrel look?

·
Registered
570 Posts
First, really nice find!

But wouldn't be a Frontier Six Shooter, not a SAA?
I have often wondered about this as it seems to me it wouldn't be an SAA unless is was the army caliber of .45 Colt. But they don't seem to differentiate in any of my books.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The CFSS, the gun that is so much a part of the Old West that it actually has Frontier in the name. I have a 1902 version. Before you break MLV's heart, all CFSS are chambered in .44-40. It is the only caliber to have its own designation.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies , The action is tight and the bore is very good . This one was taken care of for sure . I paid just south of 2800. Form what little knowledge I have ,seems about average price. I saw a 2.5 inch Python 1978 in rough shape go for that last week UGH!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Thanks for all the replies , The action is tight and the bore is very good . This one was taken care of for sure . I paid just south of 2800. Form what little knowledge I have ,seems about average price. I saw a 2.5 inch Python 1978 in rough shape go for that last week UGH!
2800, some are asking that for 2nd Generation, and they aren't "FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER" (s)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I say you did real good. I paid almost that for mine but Jim Martin is rebuilding the hammer and replacing the internals. Now you need a Winchester '73 in .44-40 of the same year, assuming they were still making them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My Frontier Six Shooter is a mess but I like it anyway. Serials to 1881 but markings are newer. Barrel is odd 5" - probably cut down 7 1/2" as stated on letter.

I'm shooting it tomorrow in a Cowboy Action Shooting match. Black powder loads of course.

LeverActionBill welded and recut the hammer for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I say you did real good. I paid almost that for mine but Jim Martin is rebuilding the hammer and replacing the internals. Now you need a Winchester '73 in .44-40 of the same year, assuming they were still making them.
I am working on a 1892 circa 1908 restore in 44-40 trapper all original I am only missing a butt plate and magazine tube . An accurate match from the old west,
IMG_0659.jpg IMG_0660.jpg IMG_0658.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts