Colt Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't think I have seen an original '92 with case hardened receiver??
Sorry , I meant all original parts. Most of the parts are from different guns.I have never seen a factory CCH 92 either till now.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Congrats on the very nice Frontier Six Shooter.

Regarding CCH model 1892's, I happened to get this catalog in the cheapie bin of a local gun shop: The 2018 James D, Julia March 21, 22 & 23 catalog pt. 1 of 2 has a factory color cased Winchester Model 1892. It is serial #39617 32wcf Deluxe Rifle with a number of special features including the color case, verified by Winchester Factory Letter. Same catalog also has a Model 1894 .38-55 with case colors and factory letter.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Congrats on the very nice Frontier Six Shooter.

Regarding CCH model 1892's, I happened to get this catalog in the cheapie bin of a local gun shop: The 2018 James D, Julia March 21, 22 & 23 catalog pt. 1 of 2 has a factory color cased Winchester Model 1892. It is serial #39617 32wcf Deluxe Rifle with a number of special features including the color case, verified by Winchester Factory Letter. Same catalog also has a Model 1894 .38-55 with case colors and factory letter.
Thanks for the back up but Winchester never offered the 1892 carbine in CCH only the rifle . . This one was done locally. but back to SAA If I take off the grips will I(or should I) find a matching serial #?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
$2800 for a Colt SAA from 1907 in that condition in .44-40 is a decent price, so you did just fine, as long as it is all original.

Are you getting a letter on this one?

·
Registered
570 Posts
$2800 for a Bisley Model in that condition in .44-40 is a decent price, so you did just fine, as long as it is all original.

The only concern I have, that no one else has mentioned, is the barrel. It appears to be original to this gun, but it might be a replacement (for what reason remains a mystery) because it does state "COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER", but what is missing is "(BISLEY MODEL)" which was also applied to the barrels of Bisley Model revolvers. From the photographs you supplied, I don't see this on the barrel as well, this being located just above the CFSS markings. Without the "(BISLEY MODEL)" markings, it suggests that the barrel could be from a standard model CFSS revolver.

Are you getting a letter on this one? If the barrel is confirmed to be 5 1/2", it does not solve the mystery, as it could be just that "(BISLEY MODEL)" was not originally stamped on an original barrel for unknown reasons. If it letters as 4 3/4" or 7 1/2", this means that the original barrel was replaced with a period barrel from a standard CFSS.
I don't think it is a Bisley. The grips and hammer are wrong for a Bisley. My reading of what he said is that he already had a Bisley but didn't know if that counted as an SAA.

As for the grips having numbers, there is another thread about this topic and the answer is no, they may not have matching serial numbers for the date range you SAA is.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I misread what the OP wrote and the last photograph does indeed demonstrate that this is the standard configuration and not the Bisley Model. I stand corrected.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I am not new to Colts or this forum but after 35 years of firearm buying this my FIRST SAA (I do own a Bisley not sue if it counts)anyway, this was at my local shop on consignment and I pulled the trigger on it literally and figuratively . Circ 1907 in 44-40 looks all original but I am not real familiar with this model . So i am asking you knowledgeable collectors what to look for . Thanks in advance. View attachment 713155 View attachment 713157 View attachment 713159 View attachment 713158 View attachment 713156
Nice looking old Colt. I own 10 of them. I have a 44/40 made in 1901 that I completely rebuilt. From what I can see the revolver looks to be original.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I have often wondered about this as it seems to me it wouldn't be an SAA unless is was the army caliber of .45 Colt. But they don't seem to differentiate in any of my books.
Colt made the single army in many different calibers, not just 45 colt

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nice looking old Colt. I own 10 of them. I have a 44/40 made in 1901 that I completely rebuilt. From what I can see the revolver looks to be original.
Thanks , seems to be the consensus that its in original condition . . It was an impulse buy ,but from a reputable dealer with a 3 day no shoot return .

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not new to Colts or this forum but after 35 years of firearm buying this my FIRST SAA (I do own a Bisley not sue if it counts)anyway, this was at my local shop on consignment and I pulled the trigger on it literally and figuratively . Circ 1907 in 44-40 looks all original but I am not real familiar with this model . So i am asking you knowledgeable collectors what to look for . Thanks in advance. View attachment 713155 View attachment 713157 View attachment 713159 View attachment 713158 View attachment 713156
I also have a 1907 CFSS, 297..., and it is very similar in condition. Mine is scary accurate with 6.0 gr of Trail Boss powder. It also has similar scratching/wear around the cylinder. Mine has very rough tool marks on the inside of the grip frame and I theorize the scratching/wear is from rolling the cylinder out of the frame. Any opinions on that?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Your instincts must be impeccable, you pulled the trigger on the right revolver at a bargain basement price. That old Colt is right as rain and in very good condition, it would be priced at $3500 or more in any of the shops in my area.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Your instincts must be impeccable, you pulled the trigger on the right revolver at a bargain basement price. That old Colt is right as rain and in very good condition, it would be priced at $3500 or more in any of the shops in my area.
Not impeccable .....Unfortunately my instincts have hurt me a few times (Colt All American last year for $690) I can just now admit it in public.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not impeccable .....Unfortunately my instincts have hurt me a few times (Colt All American last year for $690) I can just now admit it in public.
Well we won’t talk about that, I have a lot of stories that ain’t fit for mixed company, LOL, but we have to celebrate our victories and drown our sorrows sometimes.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts