Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new (to me) 45 Colt SAA yesterday, and had to make it to the range this morning. Nice smooth action, but the trigger is heavier than remember it being when I examined it in the shop; I'll need to attend to that. I loaded a couple of hundred rounds with Silhouette under a 250 gr. Speer SWC; about half with 8.2 grs, and half with 8.9 gr. I CAN NOT recommend Silhouette for 45 Colt. Extremely position sensitive, particularly with the lighter load. The 8.9 grain loads were better but I could still feel the difference shot to shot if I didn't tilt the muzzle upwards before firing. My local shop is supposed to have some Trail Boss in later this week, and that should give much better results. Unfortunately Unique is nowhere in sight.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Trail Boss is a good powder for low volume loads. But I don't need anymore different powders. I just use 45 Schofield and 45 Special cases for light loads. For one thing, the shorter case just fall from the chambers and you can hold more in your hand or in a pouch. For light/medium loads in 44 Special I use the shorter 44 Russian or 44 Colt cases. I use Unique almost exclusively and you'll be able to find it again soon.

keep checking this site: In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies Highlight reloading and powder.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the site information, I'll be checking for some Unique. Silhouette was the first new powder I've tried in a very long time and the only reason I got it was because I couldn't find any of my standards. Unique and 231 have covered most of my handgun loading needs for many years, as well as some 296 and 2400. I'm interested in giving Trail Boss a try for a few reasons; 1) It's a low density powder so it takes up a lot of the space in a big case like the 45; 2) I've heard good reports about it in the 45 Colt; 3) Sometime soon I want to start loading 32-20 for my 1st gen SAA, and I've heard that Trail Boss is one of the best for that caliber; and 4) there's reasonable availability.

I won't be loading any more 45 Colt with Silhouette, but I've heard reports that it's a very good choice for 45 ACP, so I'll use it there until I can get some more 231.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
It will shoot a lot better if you load it as it was intended: real blackpowder ctgs. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.