Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent thread I asked for opinions on a 4" first year (1950) Cobra in 38 Special. I decided to buy the gun in question. I had it on hold at one of the largest gun dealers in New England. The gun is serial #1319-LW. It has a square butt and brown plastic grips with rampant Colts near the top of the grips. The backstrap, frontstrap, and entire lower frame have a flat black finish. The rest of the gun looks like any other Cobra. The "Cobra" on the barrel is very light and not easy to read. The gun could pass for unfired and would rate about 99%. The price was $485. I have never seen such an early Cobra and I am hoping it is all original. I am headed out of town right now but will try to post pictures when I return. Just wondering if it sounds original to anyone who knows the early guns. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I certainly would not venture a guess without photos.I do know that they are a sweet looking revolver.D*

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here's a pic of a later, 5 digit 4 inch gun for comparison. It dates to 1952. All of my early post-war catalogs list the 4 inch Cobra with "square butt" and "dual tone blue" finish. It really is amazing how few of these guns turn up. Your first year gun is the first I can recall coming across.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I have to agree with itschuck2c. In general, first year guns get a value kick. When guns are in 99% condition, they get a value kick. When they are configured in a way that is different from the the basic (or most recognized) model, they get a value kick. I think you quality for three separate value kicks with a payment that recognized only one, if even that. You win. Please post photos when you have a chance.

As I posted in another current (or at least recent) thread, the Cobra is one of the first handguns that I could recognize by name. I just bought my first, a standard first model two-inch gun that astonishes me with its light weight -- less than a pound. I am delighted to have mine. I hope you are at least as delighted to have yours.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
That's an outstanding price for a first year Cobra in that condition.
Congratulations.

As described, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be "all original".
We're not talking about re-arsenaled M1911s and M1911A1s here ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.