Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I forget that what I find of interest is not all that interesting to others. In this case, I bought SAA serial number 3228SA, .45 x 5 1/2, B/CH. What's the concensus on how this will appreciate compared to later 2nd generation models? I understand that this is the most common caliber in the least desirable barrel length.

I haven't focused on condition because I bought this primarily as a shooter, but the low serial number appealed to me because it was made during the heyday of the TV western shows (1956). I complimented this with a period Bucheimer fast draw rig, period catalogs and parts lists, plus a box of 1956 vintage ammo.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have 19xxSA,a 5.5" in .38 Special. Bought it used about a dozen years ago,in 98% shape,but No box etc.$400 OTD then.

Gun has been fired at least 100 rds a year,mostly with .38/44 or .38 +P level loads-and still is 98%.

Collectors,who will never fire these guns,would probably value this gun-BUT with a proper box at 2k. These early 2nd gens. have incredible case coloring and finish,and some of the "parts",were pre war,or replacement parts made in the 1946-55 frame,when Colt would "rebuild"/repair earlier SAAs(but only made new barrels and cylinders in .38 Special and .45 Colt).

But I enjoy shooting it,and seeing what American craftsmanship/pride was like even in the union controlled Colt plant in the 50's.

Bud

·
Registered
154 Posts
Early 2nd gen's were the closest Colt came to duplicating the vintage SAA. As Lonewolf mentioned, some parts probably came from the pre-war parts bin. Your hammer should be flat on top with the original fixed type firing pin. By 1960 Colt changed to a floating pin, no doubt as a cost savings measure. Early 2nd generations have the lower exposed area of the hammer match the contour of the frame/backstrap, a cosmetic point they didn't trouble themselves with later on. Many collector place a premium on 'black box 2nd gens' which were produced untill about 1965 but I feel the 1950's vintage were the best. All that aside, I think most collectors would pay a premiun for an early gun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A question:
Is the 43/4" 38sp. early second generation SAA the most rare and valuable?
Ray Milbaum once told me that they probably made fewer than 500 of them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
phils; Garton's book gives the figure around 750 for the 4.75" .38 Special between 1958-63. His rarest standard SAA,2nd Gen. is the Nickle plated .44 Spec. with 7.5" bbl.

Only 55 of these made.

Bud

·
Registered
154 Posts
'Upgrading' to the rarer variations, nickle finish and short barrels in particular, are not unheard of. Factory letters are sometimes worth the cost. Ray Meibaum passed away a couple of years ago. A nice gentleman who always had a fine selection of SAA's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you guys for the reply.
About 1993 I was at Ray's home in Mo. and he fitted Colt ivory stocks on it and offered me $900 for it.
I turned it down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got all the pieces in placed to (hopefully) post a picture of this gun.

Now that I've got the mechanism in place, I'll post more, and better, pictures of some of my other stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts