Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at the bid history on this currently open auction. This Python Elite has been run up to almost $2,200 and all of the bidders have either no feedback or negative feedback. I have also seen a couple of these bidders involved in auctions for a couple of other Elites that were run up to ridiculous prices then relisted.

I think that there is a crooked dealer behind this, I won't give his ID here but it is easy enough to figure out by looking at past auctions. Isn't there something Gunbroker can do to stop this sort of thing or do they not care?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewBidHistory.asp?Item=39963968

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Calvin are you suspecting "shill bidders"?? Or friends of the seller,who deliberately drive the price up?

Sadly,this has been done on nearly all online auctions,and just not for firearms. Look for a very high reserve price,and as you noted,bidders with little or no feedback.

Wife had this trouble on eBxx,when she was collecting something. These "shill bidders" here would actually seem to "win" the item,then same seller(or one of the shill bidders") would relist the item in a week or 2,from same geographic locale; pretty clever.

Another reason,I am glad that I have accumulated my guns and am the age where I rarely buy any additional guns,but I sure wouldn't want to play the "online game",for anything involving funds over a $100!!!

Bud

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[ QUOTE ]

Calvin are you suspecting "shill bidders"?? Or friends of the seller,who deliberately drive the price up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure.

There is a dealer who has been listing 2 Python Elites, a 4" and a 6", with ridiculously high starting bids. One of the bidders who was involved in the auction referenced in my above post ran one of these Pythons (the 6") up to a very high price ($2K) and won the auction (at that time he had zero feedback) but the gun wasn't sold and has since been relisted. This bidder now has a negative feedback from the seller. This same Python (the 6") was also previously auctioned to another bidder for an inflated price and then relisted, that bidder also now has a negative feedback from this seller. The seller's second Python (the 4") also went to a bidder with no feedback for a ridiculous price ($2K) and it has also been relisted.

Now we have this auction with 5 bidders with zero feedback or negative feedback grades running this Python up to to almost $2,200. It could be that there are 5 people stupid enough to pay $2K for a thousand dollar gun but I doubt it. I rather suspicion it is a crooked seller trying to make it look like these guns are selling for twice what they normally go for. Gunbroker shouldn't be letting this sort thing go on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe,

We're talking about the same guy. I've been watching these various auctions for a while and I actually saw the 3 negative feedbacks that he left for you and also your feedback for him. I spotted them yesterday and recognized your handle, chevis, from this forum. I was going to private message you but before I went to do that I took another look on Gunbroker at his feedback and your feedback for him was gone so I thought that maybe you had come to some sort of agreement with him regarding the lighters although his 3 negatives for you are still there. My suspicions are now confirmed and everyone here on the Colt forum should be aware of this seller and to stay as far the h**l away from him as possible. Sorry that you got kicked off Gunbroker but maybe it will prevent someone else from getting screwed.

I wonder if we were to make Gunbroker aware of the dishonest BS he is pulling with these auctions if we could get him thrown off? It says a lot about Gunbroker that they boot you and delete your feedback for this guy and he is still there.

Also, I think that you are right, I'm sure that he's not a member of this forum as this is a much better class of guys.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The trouble is that he is just one dealer.Look at joe/deb and watch one of their auctions.I don't recall if it is this forum or the smith forum (I do both,,ac/dc),but I seen where they were at a gun show in Florida and were buying up all the good guns before the show even started.Then the joe/deb person stated that he likes to have 30 guns a week online.To me this is as,against the law as shill bidding,but maybe more in the line as unethetical practice that makes honest gun sellers look bad.Not to mention the gun shows.But maybe not.I just look at it from the outside and it looks fishy.Don't think that the feds don't sometimes look in on open forums either.
I did put in a responce to GB and I got the follow up last night and they stated that I had broke the rules and the suspension would stand unless I could get the seller to pull his complaint.That is not going to happen was my responce I reponded back.I was cordial and stated that the fine business of GB should find another way for a buyer who buys the guns that pays the bills,an exception.No threats have been made and I'm in the kissing ass stage right now.After all efforts have been made and I'm sure I'll be always looking in from the outside I will give them both barrels.But I will try to change e-mails first and see if that works.I did that yesterday,useing my daughters name and a neighbors address and my work phone.Within a period of maybe 6 hours,that account was frozen too.This morning I go fight another fight,,,,a deposition at my wifes attorneys office over a divorce I am going through.So that kind of takes precident in my little pee bit head that trys to think.
Wish me luck and I'm sure I'll be back with news at the end of the day,,if I'm not in jail.
Joe

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Joe, I want to represent the good side of online purchases. I've had great success on auction sites as well as GA. I've bought almost 2 dozen guns online over the last 4 years and have never been burned on price although sometimes misrepresented. I've always been able to return those misrepresented. As far as the overpriced shipping goes, factor it into the total cost. Also factor in the cost of the FFL you'll pay. There are many "hidden value guns" online that will never show up at gun shows. If one does not purchase online and sometime take a "safe" gamble, your missing out on a huge market place. Just my .02

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with GunBroker and AuctionArms for several years - actually, ever since eBay threw us all overboard for Political Correctness.

My biggest gripe about GunBroker is that they allow sellers to keep relisting the same items over and over forever. eBay gives you one extra listing only, then you have to pay the fee again. This keeps the site alive, and encourages realistic prices. I've seen the same gun at the same price, with the same crappy photos on and off for years. Sort of like some dealers at gun shows...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree. You would think that they would want to get their money out of the gun, and go on. Most keep relisting at the same price.

Everyone wants to get over $500,00 out of every Officers Model. Some are worth it, most are not!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts