Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper sequence to fit a hand in a Colt SAA ? I seem to take the long way to do this with lots of trial and error. Do any of you utilize the bolt slot at the bottom of the frame ? Im having difficulty fitting one in a first gen and Im not sure if the is the tip of the hand that I need to work on or the bottom finger. Thanks

Reactions: WVCOLT

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I put a Smith Enterprises hand in my Pietta because I didn't like the cylinder free play when put on half cock.
I have Kuhnhausen's book and all I can say is it is a pain in the neck.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have the book but always looking for other ways to do things.

Reactions: WVCOLT

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I put a Smith Enterprises hand in my Pietta because I didn't like the cylinder free play when put on half cock.
I have Kuhnhausen's book and all I can say is it is a pain in the neck.
AWA,EMF.USFA & I think Cimmaron all used it for their trouble shooting manual & didn't think it was it was a pain in the neck.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can highly recommend the Smith Enterprises 1st gen hands. Pretty much all I had to do was shorten the overall length of it by about .030". The 2nd leg was perfect as-is.

Jim, I think Ken's point was that the K book, overall, was not written for the average hobbyist but for a gunsmith. I struggle through certain areas of it myself. It is written for people with experience much like other manuals in other fields. Its like reading the Machinists Handbook. As a machinists, I understand the handbook but to others without a knowledge of trig and geometry, it would be Greek to them.

Reactions: kenhwind

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I can highly recommend the Smith Enterprises 1st gen hands. Pretty much all I had to do was shorten the overall length of it by about .030". The 2nd leg was perfect as-is.

Jim, I think Ken's point was that the K book, overall, was not written for the average hobbyist but for a gunsmith. I struggle through certain areas of it myself. It is written for people with experience much like other manuals in other fields. Its like reading the Machinists Handbook. As a machinists, I understand the handbook but to others without a knowledge of trig and geometry, it would be Greek to them.
Jim, the book wasn't a pain in the neck it was disassembling and reassembling the SA to get a final fit.

I bought my copy of Kuhnhausen years ago when I had a AWA, but recently had my nose in it working on a Pietta I screwed up.
I put Wolff springs in it and they gouged up the cylinder, also there was too much freespin on half cock and I had a misfire, when the cylinder passed the bolt, which could have resulted in a kaboom.
A new cylinder was no big deal I even bought a range rod to check it, but that cylinder slop I couldn't deal with, so I decided to put a new hand in it. Big improvement as I'm not a fan of the Ruger type hand spring. The cylinder stills has a bit of play but before the cylinder could spin too far and when full cocked it would jump the bolt. The bolt on the other hand was almost drop-in. The bolt was from VTI is not a Pietta bolt but the other hardened one they sell.

The book is great but Jerry could have elaborated some more on some aspects of things. But I found this to be so with automotive manuals also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts